Author Topic: My first Molly ,KCT, tiller check please. ( new pics )  (Read 12428 times)

Offline Poggins

My first Molly ,KCT, tiller check please. ( new pics )
« on: December 01, 2013, 07:29:43 pm »
This is my first stab at a Molly , Kentucky coffe tree .
Started out with 18" of working limb but after working the tips a little more may be a little shorter , if memory serves me right it's 62" TTT , I'll have to remesure it , been working on four bows at the same time , 7" handle , 2" at the fades tapering to about 1 1/2" at levers , levers will be 1/2" wide when finished ( at 3/4" now ) .
The left limb may be the upper limb , it has a bump just out of the fade that is throwing me off , I've shot it half a dozen times this evening just to see how it done.
Pulling 50# at 27" right now , I want to get the tiller pretty close then heat treat the belly . Still need to work the tips over and the hanle . If this works out the spoonbill skins will go on the working limbs and copperhead skins on the levers with antler tip overlays .
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 10:06:24 pm by Poggins »

Offline IdahoMatt

Re: My first Molly , tiller check please.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 07:40:28 pm »
It looks to me like the right limb is bending good and the left is a little stiff in the outer half of the working area.  Have you braced it yet?

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 07:53:56 pm »
+1 Matt

Call me crazy but I think you might be able to get a little more taper in the levers too.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 08:10:31 pm »
Try and get a bit more bend at the end of each working limb (just where the non-bending levers start). If it's taking set in one area, let that tell you something.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 08:34:18 pm »
yep the left limb is really flat just out of the fades, the other not as bad, on the left i'd work all but the inner third the right mid out
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 08:47:49 pm »
(tiller) what ever the other guys say, hows is that Kentucky coffe tree to work with, is it quite hard say compared to oak or hick..?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Poggins

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 09:14:13 pm »
Sorry I haven't gotten back very quick , shot a doe halfway through my post and been tracking her . Hit the shoulder and did not go any further , did retreave my stone point and arrow after zig zagging in the direction she went , traveled eighty yards before the arrow fell out , no blood trail to fallow feel lucky to find my point .
Yes the now has taken set right out of the fades on both limbs , both limbs took the same set .
I have been working the left limb with a scraper , I'll work on it some more when I get a chance and try and get the outer pat of the working limbs to bend some more.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 10:12:31 pm »
My point survived with a chip on one side.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 11:22:25 pm »
Bow101 , I haven't worked with oak or hic. yet but it's a little softer than oak.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 02:34:42 pm »
I worked the outer 1/3 of both limbs and worked on the left limb to get a smother bend , tapered the limbs more and narrowed the levers some more. It was late when I got done last night so I'll try and get some more pics this evening . I checked to make sure my skins were wide enough and I'm good to go with them just need to wipe them down with alcohol to remove the oil and sand them .
The first pic was at about four inches brace , I twisted my string up and had it to five inches but didn't get a pic . It had about three inches of fallow and after setting for an hour after unstringing it settled back to two inches .

Offline Poggins

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 09:14:48 pm »
Ok , I think I have photo bucket figured out now .
The fallowing pics are full draw , brace , and just after unstringing it : sorry it got dark on me before I could get pics .
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 09:19:56 pm by Poggins »

Offline Poggins

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 09:16:42 pm »

Offline Poggins

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 09:21:56 pm »
Sorry about the belly showing up so much , I need to stand on something or cut my tillering tree down some .

Offline Poggins

Re: My first Molly , tiller check please. ( new pics)
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 01:06:16 am »
Okay new pics , sorry about poor photos and I know , don't do this to a bow ( full draw for about half minute) . How's it looking so far , included a pic of one of the tips after I tapered it more.

Offline steve b.

Re: My first Molly , tiller check please. ( new pics )
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 01:11:52 am »
The lack of set says it all.  Very nice.

fyi....you don't need photobucket to post pics on this site !