Author Topic: First Ocean Spray bow lifts a splinter  (Read 13288 times)

Offline PatM

Re: First Ocean Spray bow lifts a splinter
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 02:31:48 am »
That wrap will do virtually nothing to hold the splinter down. It takes quite a wad of material set in compatible glue to do that trick.

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 02:32:59 am »
There's a tiny pin knot right at the break. Only thing I can think is my scraper got caught on the pin and cut the fibers across the back. I sanded off the shellac and burnished the whole back. Hopeful this will reduce risk of it happening again.
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 02:37:13 am »
Ok Pat. How many wraps are you talking?
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 09:38:21 am »
Is there's two long cracks where the splinter lifted? In the pic u can see two dark lines from the splinter. Also every sinew wrap I've saw u can't see the bow through it. Maybe I'm wrong.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 10:35:44 am »
What you should have done with the sinew was lay some down along the limb overlapping the crack by at least 2" on both sides then wrap with more sinew.  I've done this many times with success
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2013, 11:58:06 am »
Blaflair2 -there are cracks from the splinters edges up about an inch where it lifted.

Marc-thanks. I can redo no problem.  I'm hung up on how to tiller once I have a wrap in the way. Do I lay down the patch over the crack parallel with the back with hide glue as if I were doing the whole bow, let cure, finish tiller then wrap?  How Do you tiller around the wrap?

Offline steve b.

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 12:37:57 pm »
Good question, Dan.  That splinter popped so early.  I'd be tempted to rawhide patch it with hide glue, no wrap, tiller as normal, then do the wrap later.  You could remove the patch if you wanted.
I have some thick and thin rawhide and the glue ready to go if you want some.

Offline PatM

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2013, 12:49:11 pm »
I would just flatten the back and remove the break altogether and sinew back the whole thing. Making a stiff spot in the limb is just going to bug you with the tiller.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2013, 02:24:20 pm »
I would just flatten the back and remove the break altogether and sinew back the whole thing. Making a stiff spot in the limb is just going to bug you with the tiller.

+1
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2013, 10:41:32 pm »
I'm thinking the rawhide patch is the way to go on this one. After I finish tiller I can reassess how I want to finish the bow. Thanks all for the help!  I'll post the money shot when I'm done.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2013, 11:02:27 am »
The patch I am suggesting would be similar to how you would patch a bicycle tube.  I would do the whole patch at once with wrap.  You would only do 1 course of sinew so it would not create a stiff spot.  Use hot hide glue to soak the splinter before starting and lightly rough up the area where the patch will go, not enough to go through the first growth ring of course. 

P.S.  Sorry I wasn't thinking there.  It would be hard to tiller once the wrap is in place.  Do the patch and tiller till you are near fully tillered then do a wrap.  I've done this patch without a wrap before so it should hold till you are near full tillered.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 11:06:45 am by Marc St Louis »
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2013, 08:24:28 pm »
I went with the rawhide patch and it seemed to work ok.

Worked the hinge out of the bottom limb. Her's an unbraced and a low brace.

It's taken about three inches of set and I don't think I'll get more than about 30#@28". What about heat treating the set out and maybe flipping the tips to get some weight back?

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2013, 10:59:48 pm »
3" is a little excessive. You sure it's dry?
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline PatM

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2013, 11:45:12 pm »
It already "broke," don't strain it any more.

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2013, 12:32:51 am »
If you would rather have a possibility of fire wood than a horribly performing bow... Then I would definitely flip tips, heat treat, and possibly add some more reflex if the flipped tips doesn't do enough. If it were me, not to spite you pat, I would definitely just add reflex and get all the weight and performance back. Nobody likes a quitter and I feel like I am if I just make a bow that will just sit in the corner forever then just TRY to make a good bow out of it. If I get pieces, it went out a real bow. If I get a bow, it will be an awesome performer. If I do nothing, it will sit in the corner of the rejected and actually will probably end up on the wall(who would want that! :o) or in the fire or you will probably try to make a good bow out of it when you just feel like messing with it. So, in summary, I would try to make a bow and I recommend you do. I didn't on my 3rd bow and now I am going to fix it up now. I don't care if it blows because I have a bunch of awesome ones that I would use over it any day.
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb