Author Topic: First Ocean Spray bow lifts a splinter  (Read 13269 times)

Offline PatM

Re: First Ocean Spray bow lifts a splinter
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2013, 12:57:39 am »
I would agree with that if the bow was to be sinewed but that has apparently been taken off the tables so it just seems too risky to try for all the potential performance gains.

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2013, 01:11:16 am »
I would agree with that if the bow was to be sinewed but that has apparently been taken off the tables so it just seems too risky to try for all the potential performance gains.

But you did agree!!!!!  >:D that means he should do it, your just a little on the cautious side with it being rawhide >:D LOL  I would still do it because of my given reasons. I would much rather have a good bow or firewood than a crappy stick that sits in a corner. Think, if you had cancer(a cracked back is a bows cancer) would you want to just sit their and die slowly or have the chance to get an experiment done and you could be better than you were before but there is a risk of going out with a bang! I don't know about you guys, but I'd pick the second.

P.s. This is not to make fun of people with cancer or anything just it was the best comparison I could make. I had a few relatives die of it so this wasn't to be funny but again, best comparison. God bless
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline PatM

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2013, 01:15:07 am »
Well sinew would be a proven cure so no I don't  agree with potentially making it worse as the first solution.

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2013, 01:18:58 pm »
3" is a little excessive. You sure it's dry?

Well Bryce, not sure what dry is for Ocean Spray but it's under 10%  My moisture reader only goes down to 10% and it doesn't even bounce so its probably under 8% for sure.  I'm thinking the splinter and the moisture from the glue may have compromised that area (even with the patch) so it has taken set now when it didn't before.  But the other limb I have no idea.  I've scraped some since I put on the patch but not that much.  Before the splinter lifted it was pulling above sixty pounds and about 1" of set now I'm around 30# with 3" set.What are your thoughts?
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2013, 03:57:44 pm »
Bring it over ;)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2013, 05:29:14 pm »
Well the patch held however I lifted another splinter in the other limb -a really big one! :'(

I think I'll take Marc's advise on this one and try sinew wrap! ;)

Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Don Case

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2013, 05:37:55 pm »
You might try pushing it all into a PVC tube and filling it with epoxy >:D
Seriously that sucks the big one >:(. I'm also on a steep learning curve with OS. Makes me appreciate Zion's woek all the more.
Don

Offline steve b.

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2013, 06:23:46 pm »
Dan you need a security camera set up in your garage so we can review the tape and see what's going on.

Seriously, the majority of bows that I have seen, "lift a splinter on the back", have been OS.  Frankly, I haven't seen very many finished OS bows.  So I don't know if there is a tendency for OS to do this or not.  Time will tell because I have a bunch to build in the near future. 

Forget that moisture meter!

Offline PatM

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2013, 06:38:21 pm »
Wood_bandit,     Amirite? >:D

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2013, 06:45:25 pm »
This seems like some pretty incredible wood for sure and the only way to really learn is by doing. I'll be trying another soon.  Unfortunately the other staves I have don't look as nice so not sure how they will turn out. I still don't really know what I'm doing that I know for sure. Thank you all for your help. Learned a lot on this one. Cheers!

Don Case

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2013, 06:52:17 pm »
Dan if you think back. Did you de-bark when the OS was green? What did you use to get the bark off?  I'm trying to remember how I took the bark of mine and I think I used a knife. I thought maybe we did something way back that contributed to "lifting a splinter".
Don

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2013, 06:52:54 pm »

Just for done tillering a bow today and I look back at this and see that post.... I seriously laughed so hard when I saw that first. Lol just thought I should shut up before I say something retarded and start a real fight between me and everyone else >:D  and yes you are right. Part of why I shut up ;)
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2013, 07:58:28 pm »
That is bad wood.  Rot.  Was that from Sylvan's that day?  I tossed the one I drug home.  It was punky.  Tough break. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2013, 09:48:18 pm »
As cold as it is right now I did need fire wood and it made the kids happy and warm. Thanks for the advise wood_bandit.  >:D

Don, I waited 4-5 months to debark. It checked on the belly so I went ahead and took the bark of and cut a groove through the belly to the pith to control the check. Worked like a charm!  I just scraped the bark off with my scraper. Pretty easy work.  I sprayed it real good with shellac and just let it go for a couple more months. I have learned from some folks that I should have cleaned and burnished the back right after floor tiller and before I put a string on it. I think there is a difference of opinion with this so comments are appreciated.

Carson, I can't remember for sure where this one came from. I didn't start marking my Staves until we got all that ash. I now know how important it is to date and label your wood. This piece was really clean throughout. I never did come across a stain, crack or soft spot while tillering. Should have made a phenomenal bow.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2013, 10:21:25 pm »
I thought it looked like some grey brown near the center of the stave.  in that last photo, maybe just the pith and it looks bigger/more widespread than it is.   

Seeing as how it is lifted in the same spot as the opposite limb, maybe you were stressing those inner limbs in your design, thickness taper.  If you are not willing to let the wood take the fall...then I blame you!   ;D ;D

Yup, marking your wood is a good practice.  So is burnishing.  I think Marc St. Luis wrote in a recent Q&A column that he quite burnishing after he looked at the back fibers under a microscope/mag lens before and aft and determined the burnishing was crushing back fibers.  I think this caused some healthy re-examination of burnishing. I am now of the opinion that burnishing does crush the outer back fibers, but I think that is the very reason it is an effective practice. Think of the back fibers as layers, and that they are only as strong as the weakest link in the that layer.  So if you have a little nick somewhere in that outermost layer of fibers, then you have a chink in your armor.  If you burnish the back, then you are crushing the entire outer layer and passing the work onto the next layer below, which is unviolated and now protected by a compressed/crushed outer layer of fibers.  Maybe or maybe not that would have helped your bow. 

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso