Author Topic: What are some of the coolest things you have learned on here?  (Read 14579 times)

Offline Badly Bent

Re: What are some of the coolest things you have learned on here?
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2013, 10:47:16 am »
On the technical side I would say tips on heat straightening, heat treating, adding reflex, getting tips narrow(although mine are still fat compared to many), tillering techniques, seasoning and drying, finishing tricks like Gordon's method for putting that perfect luster on tru-oil and an endless list of other advice offered by many here.
But like many others have already said its the people here that are the coolest! Everyone is helpful, encouraging, friendly and generous. I've been fortunate to meet quite a few this past 18 months at gatherings and now look forward to meeting up with my new friends again at next years events. Then there are the many others on here that
I consider friends that I haven't even met face to face yet, geographical distance being the only obstacle keeping that from happening other wise we'd be sharing a campfire and trading jokes and stories like we'd known each other since we were kids. My wife even went with me to a couple of these gatherings and said she probably never meet people as
friendly as this before and that she doesn't want to miss next years reunion. Yep, its the people alright.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2013, 10:53:15 am »
How to swallow
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline adb

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2013, 11:17:44 am »
Me sir me sir...!
I know a good one...
Don't post your latest bow on PA unless you want it to blow up tomorrow :o
I've learned to leave it a week/100 plus arrows :-[
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2013, 11:22:38 am »
How to swallow

Funny Marc! Please teach me o' wise one!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2013, 11:52:22 am »
The thing that got me hooked on this site was a thread about tillering.  It was like someone turned on the light switch and said, "Hey, what are you doing walking around in the dark?".

My response, "What is dark? And what's that hurt-my-eyes thingy?"
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2013, 02:10:33 pm »
I'm with JackCrafty, at least regarding the image in general... ::)

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2013, 02:46:05 pm »
The build-alongs have taught me the most.  Its easy to read concepts and not be able to apply them, but when I see how other people approach a problem (working out a kink, tillering an uneven stave, applying a good glue line etc etc...) it imprints much better.  I've seen so many good build-alongs over the years, and its been very helpful.

Thanks y'all.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2013, 03:02:23 pm »
The coolest thing...well I haven't learned yet.  Everything I've learned so far is pretty cool though.  The best is by far the people.  Neighbors around me freak out when they find out I have friends all over the world who, unconditionally, give away stuff, free advice, support, criticism (cause they know you need to hear it), and most important the "don't give up...go do it again" when your bow explodes!  I've learned to go in the woods and pick up a rock, cut a branch, pick a few shoots, go down to the river edge and gather a few goose feathers and...you all know the rest.  Your right, you can learn all this in a book but what this site give is confidence to try.  I've learned if other people are doing it then I can try.
Need to frame this and hang it above the computer !
after the umpteenth time of trying to explain a way or the umpteenth time the same question is ask  ,maybe I will be able to remember to answer with all the excitement of the first time !
That is what this forum is about !!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you to all who are a part of it !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline StickMan47

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2013, 03:27:02 pm »
I didn't read all the replies yet and I'm sure it's already been mentioned but for me personally it all boils down to the people who contribute their time and efforts on helping us new guys. Over the years I've joined several forums and after a couple of months the arguing and name calling shows up and it always left a bad taste in my mouth. I just got to where I wouldn't even go back anymore! PA is the first place I've come too where that kind of thing don't really happen.

For that reason, I have been able to learn more from y'all than I ever could have anywhere else. My hats off to all of y'all. I greatly appreciate everything everybody does for each other on here. The bow making bug bit me about two years ago and I would get on here and read posts from time to time, mostly just seein what all everybody was building. Finally last year I began getting some staves and trying my hand at making my own. Just finished tillering out my first one, and for me that's the most difficult part.

I don't post much but one day when I feel my skills are sufficient enough I'll definately pass it on!!
Makin fine firewood, one bow at a time!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2013, 04:51:10 pm »
What's up Sweeny?   ;D

I was clueless about so many things when I first found this site it was pitiful.  I owe all my "primitive" knowledge to you guys... for better or for worse.  >:D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline dwardo

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2013, 05:35:27 pm »
The level of knowledge here and the willingness to share is a rare thing. The lack of pretence and "master bowyer" secrecy is also a rare and wonderful thing.

My Grandfather always said there is no magic in the world and he did not mean it in a bad way. Simply if you want to do something read as much as you can and ask for help from those who are willing to give it. Then just get stuck in as anything is possible if you stick at it.

There is no-one here that tries to act the mystical master bowyer and you all come across as a great bunch of gents who freely share everything they know.

I could add the list of tips, tricks, designs and actual hands on knowledge rather than mystical botox that someone once read of heard second hand.

Like others here I have no access to another set of bowyers eyes and you lot are always willing to offer that second opinion even if it just gives you the confidence to go ahead with your gut instinct.

Gonna raise a beer to you lot! Cheers.

Offline Badger

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2013, 05:45:20 pm »
  Dwardo, I liked you rpost. I like what you said about magic. I have been making bows for a long time and I still don't always understand exactly why something behaved the way it did. I continue to learn here. Part of the learning process is just recognising when things are happening. Most of the time if something puzzles us we can get to the bottom of it if we have time and apply ourselves. We may not feel like puzzles at that very moment but at some point we will rememeber something and go back to it. As you say no magic in wood or making bows, everything happens for a reason. Magic played a much bigger part in my bow making when I first started making bows!

Offline Poggins

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2013, 06:26:48 pm »
What's not cool hear , glad there is a place like this , great people, great information , and great bows . Yes , it is great to have other eyes to look at the bows that I'm working on , especially when I try a new design .

THANK YOU ALL !!!
I know that some don't say enough.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2013, 08:17:42 pm »
To listen more and speak less.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.