Author Topic: Bowyers near Grays Harbor WA?  (Read 6434 times)

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: Bowyers near Grays Harbor WA?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 07:44:16 pm »
I always take Pearl's advice seriously. Guy's a champ  ;D

Do black locust trees grow in Western Washington? I live in west central Washington State and have built bows from yew, vine maple, cascara, ocean spray, nine bark, mountain maple, plum and apple, but all I've ever seen of black locust is pictures. I'd love to try BL. I've heard good things about it!

Dale

I've got some large trees in my yard, and I've seen some smaller ones around the harbor. I guess they grow everywhere pacific yew doesn't, because I've yet to get my hands on any ::) It's very snappy wood. I treat it like osage with some extra crown or trapping and make my fastest bows from it.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 07:31:24 am »
Another option, and what I do. I get asked for bows here and there and my reply is always the same. "Sure, come on over and we will build you one with my supplies/tools. It will take about three (3) hour days to complete". Guess what? Two people have done so in 3 years of offering and both bows gather dust. You will be surprised how fast the line goes away after they hear that. Ive learned that 90-95% of the people that want my bows will only hang them up, sad but true. I refuse to give a bow away that wont be hunted or shot somewhat faithfully.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 01:54:00 pm »
Do black locust trees grow in Western Washington? I live in west central Washington State and have built bows from yew, vine maple, cascara, ocean spray, nine bark, mountain maple, plum and apple, but all I've ever seen of black locust is pictures. I'd love to try BL. I've heard good things about it!

Dale

Ironically I personally hate black locust....kicks my butt unless I wear a mask. Black locust grows all over western wa., you can find it if you know what you are looking for.....stuff grows like a weed! The weather here sure makes for some great growth rings.

Huise,   

You know where leymays garbage dump is on highway 12?? Just as you pass the dump the road that takes takes you to lake aberdeen......take that right turn, look to your left there is a pile of black locust on the ground there...I talked to the guy once he seemed open to selling it.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 02:45:07 pm »
I refuse to give a bow away that wont be hunted or shot somewhat faithfully.

Exactly. Why put all that effort in for no reason. Money?  Please.....
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 01:40:12 pm »
I wouldn't say I'm a Bowyer, I do like to play around making bows, and arrows, I'm in the west end of Lewis county close to the pacific county line. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,