Author Topic: finger protection  (Read 5191 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

finger protection
« on: December 01, 2013, 11:43:00 am »
What do you guys use? I usually shoot with a two finger draw... I dunno why I picked that one. Thumb draw feels like i am going to rip my thumb off, and its only a 45# bow! 3 finger just feels so wierd,  yet I try it almost every time I shoot!
anyway, I blistered up my middle finger really bad- enough that I haven't been able to draw anything for the past month and a half- not even a 25# recurve... without ripping my middle finger open agian!
Should I make some shooting tabs, switch to 3 finger, make a glove, etc??? and if so, how?
Thanks!
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: finger protection
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 12:20:29 pm »
I personally dont like finger tabs cuz my shootin is mostly huntin situations in the cold with gloves on.. but... I dont think you can find a better tool for a smooth release than a tab... I like my Damascas glove when i target shoot. Not primitive but "No Gloves" are an option also( i use them on some of my bowfishin rigs", but they kinda cause bad habits cuz you cant use your finger tips... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline dbb

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 12:33:33 pm »
The tab is probably the better choice for pure target practice but the glove is more practical when moving around.
If you go for the glove try to find one with cordovan fingertips.
Otherwise it will be almost worn out by the time it feels best.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 12:35:16 pm »
I use a tab I made from a scrap piece of leather...It works really well.  One day I may use something else but for now this is what I use. 

When I used to do a lot of rock climbing my fingers and especially my finger tips would get really shredded.  One trick I used to use was to coat my finger tips with super glue.  It was almost like having a second skin.  This would last for a while....another thing we used to do and a lot of climbers still do is to wrap it up with some athletic tape.  This helps a lot.  I bet it would help you.   Just a word of caution. One thing to be mindful of is that you have an injury.  One of the best things you can do is to NOT keep doing the thing that caused it in the first place.  You could end up with permanent damage.   

If you really don't want to take a break and want to keep shooting try wrapping with athletic tape it should allow you to continue shooting and use any style you want.  But seriously dude blisters don't take that long to heal...It should callus up and be good. If it were me I'd lay off for  a while until that thing heals.  It really shouldn't take that long.  If it doesn't then It may be a good idea to have the doctor check it out.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 01:01:35 pm »

If you really don't want to take a break and want to keep shooting try wrapping with athletic tape it should allow you to continue shooting and use any style you want.  But seriously dude blisters don't take that long to heal...It should callus up and be good. If it were me I'd lay off for  a while until that thing heals.  It really shouldn't take that long.  If it doesn't then It may be a good idea to have the doctor check it out.

Nope even with a callus the string will ripp you're finger open And even if it doesn't rip your finger open again your fingers will hurt so much every time you release that shooting won't even be enjoyable trust me speaking from experience
I like osage

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 01:05:35 pm »
I use a Damascus glove and have for many years. I would not shoot bare fingers because of the nerve and tendon damage it can cause.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dwardo

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 01:11:45 pm »
Used to be bare fingers but as I went up in weight it was no longer practical.
I tried various gloves and settled on a bear-paw three fingered deerskin glove.
Very happy with it but not cheap.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 01:47:51 pm »
almost healed- its been almost 2 months since it started hurting a lot... I posted to keep from hurting myself agian :)
I thought I would ask you guys.
would using a 3 finger grip help a lot?
I am planning to make a tab... how thick of leather? would stiff chrometanned cowhide work?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Don Case

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 01:50:01 pm »
Does someone have a pattern or a link to a pattern? This has got to be something that anyone could make.
Don

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 02:06:16 pm »
I use a deerskin 3 fingered glove. Made by Bearpaw or Martin, I believe. Make sure it's tight.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 02:22:43 pm »
Should I make some shooting tabs, switch to 3 finger, make a glove, etc??? and if so, how?
Thanks!

Does someone have a pattern or a link to a pattern? This has got to be something that anyone could make.
Don

here you go

make one from squirrel skin. here is an old vid of mine showing you how

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mscTcBK_50Q

please remember this is a very old video. lol :laugh:
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 02:37:13 pm »

Nope even with a callus the string will ripp you're finger open And even if it doesn't rip your finger open again your fingers will hurt so much every time you release that shooting won't even be enjoyable trust me speaking from experience

Same here. That's why I use a tab but not healing for almost two months....ouch.  You aren't giving it enough time.  get a tab or a glove like the one ADB mentioned and you'll be good to go.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 03:00:26 pm »
there's a lot of variations out there but this easy to make tab is all i ever use.
its about a 6 to 8 oz leather. you want to be able to feel the string through the leather.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 03:19:26 pm »
nice tab. might try it
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 03:19:53 pm »
If you were my son I would not have left you quit shooting and told you suck it up !
Since you have and others have warned you against trying again (safety is not my strong point)
I will now tell you to start making your own arrow shafts and build pinch nocks into them . Then you can use a pinch draw !
I do not like gloves or tabs or junk that gets in the way or lets me down !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !