Author Topic: Wonky sinew question..  (Read 1472 times)

Offline Hector

Wonky sinew question..
« on: November 30, 2013, 12:01:53 pm »
Hello,

Waiting for a sinew bow to cure and noticed some quite substantial lateral migration, leaving one or two spots with an overhang on the side or showing a couple mm of the bows back. The overhang also affects the bound limb tips. The backing was lightly bound with sinew in wide crossover pattern, and the tips wrapped and some other mid-limb bindings applied also with thin sinew..What I'm thinking of doing is just clean-up the overhangs with rasp/file/paper, get the limbs even width again, then leave the blank spots not covered by backing and fill them in with small sinew bundles a bit later, or just put another layer over the top. But in working the limbs of already bound limbs/tips is it wise to rasp away the tip bindings on the sides (even if dry though not cured), and then re-wrap on the final sinew layer, or if I dont add another layer, can I remove the overhangs within the bound area and then re-wrap?

The bow's been curing for a month so hopefully if I rasp away the tip bindings the backing will stay on (that being the main concern)..anyone had any similar experiences keeping sinew straight while drying? It would seem a shame to mess it up as the stave itself has seen many different transformations from green oak sliver, to 50" x  2" flatbow, down to 1 1/8" x 44", then chopped it down again to 42", then put recurves in, strung, steamed, hacked and finally backed with sinew - so its been through a lot already - wont be right to become a wall-hanger..

Thanks to anyone who reads

Regards

H

Offline PatM

Re: Wonky sinew question..
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 02:04:55 pm »
I can't really see how sinew can migrate after the glue has gelled.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 03:13:36 pm »
Pictures would help.
Did you put the wraps on at the same time you did the backing?

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 04:19:39 am »
My only suggestion is the wraps must have moved it.
Yes it's fine to rasp away excess to make it even and then do some touching up to fill the voids.
It also sounds like your glue was a little too concentrated...just guessing on that one tho!