Author Topic: Lever bow advice wanted  (Read 1362 times)

Offline steve b.

Lever bow advice wanted
« on: December 02, 2013, 01:09:29 pm »
This is an oceanspray bow that I'm about to start working.  I took the advice of some on here to make it a lever bow because of the wide limbs.  So I roughed it to this stage and put it in the dry box for 2 months.  It lost about 2 ounces and seemed to stop.

Now that I look at it I'm concerned that there is too much snake and wobble in the limbs and levers for it to end up pulling straight back and not wanting to twist.  If so, I will abondon the lever idea and cut it down to a short, wide, flat bow.

I put a string across it to get an idea of what needs to be straightened, if anything.  The levers are still almost an inch wide.  The bow is about 67".

In these pics the string is touching the leather pad on the handle and laying slightly off center because of it.

Offline steve b.

Re: Lever bow advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 01:10:39 pm »
In these pics I held the string in the center of the handle:

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 01:13:31 pm »
You are not going to be able to tell accurately how the string will track until first brace. Once it is under tension you will get a true reading.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 01:47:40 pm »
I say continue on with the plan steve....those tips should be easy to correct once you know exactly where your string lies after low bracing it..and that way your tips will have much less meat on them and will be easier to correct....if you want to and are going to do heat corrections before bracing that's fine,and you can get it close enough so it'll lie in the bow and won't flip n spit the string on ya first bracing it...then you can tweak and fine tune your levers after its braced and you know exactly how far you need to move if any(but I think you will)