Author Topic: Draw knife restoration?  (Read 9029 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Draw knife restoration?
« on: March 04, 2014, 10:56:19 pm »
Would anyone be able to do a step by step how-to on restoring an old draw knife?  I have a couple of old rusted ones from my grandfathers tool shed that I would like to get back to working condition.  I'm not sure how to go about it.  Thanks for any help.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lostarrow

Re: Draw knife restoration?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 11:27:40 pm »
As long as they haven't been used for a froe :o or otherwise abused , it doesn't take much. Use a file to redefine the cutting angle and then a stone to sharpen. If it's badly pitted on the flat side , you will have to get it back down to good steel. Course sandpaper on a block  works pretty good. If you are good with a belt sander you can do it that way, but it removes a lot of material fast! Clamp the belt sander upside down on the bench and hold the knife to the belt with the belt running away from the cutting edge.  Use a fine belt and remember to take the dust bag off! Wear a mask of course and clean up well after. That fine stuff is nasty business. Try it with the block first, it may not  need much and it's better not to risk it. The ultimate goal is a polished and flat surface on the flat side , so get it down to 600 grit  at least (I  polish with a felt buffing wheel and green honing compound to a mirror finish on my cutting tools) On the bevel side ,just the cutting edge needs to be  polished.

This is of course if you are using it as a draw knife . If you are chasing rings on Osage , you don't want it that sharp or it will be too easy to cut into the next ring. As for the rust on the rest of it, sand it with 400 grit paper until it turns more black than rusty and rub a coat of oil on it. Wipe it dry and follow up with a coat of  paste wax or two. That will keep it from rusting further and gives it a nice patina look of a tool that was meant to be used! A little oil and wax on the handles will also rejuvenate them. Make sure the handles are in good shape. secure or replace if necessary . The last thing you want is a handle to split /crack and drive a splinter through your hand as you are bearing down hard on a tough knot!.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 11:32:17 pm »
Some of us with good tool control and steady hands like a sharp drawknife for chasing rings!

Post pics of your drawknife adventures, Clint!  Nothing feels more "right" in the hand than an antique tool.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 07:38:07 am »
Razor sharp for me please!  I need my edge reconditioned on a wheel.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 02:58:10 pm »
I like to use a wire wheel on an electric grinder to remove the rust.  Makes quick work of it.

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 09:05:14 pm »
I like to use a wire wheel on an electric grinder to remove the rust.  Makes quick work of it.
also a few hour soak in white vinegar will help break any heavily scaled rust.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 09:57:51 am »
Clint, go to any automotive chain store and buy a quart of Evapo-Rust.. Cost bout $7.. Worth every penny and is completely harmless to you and everything else on this earth.. And you can reuse it over and over.. Might well be the best invention of this century. It is awesome stuff!... Brian
      ps.... Dont use a belt sander  ;)
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 07:24:04 pm »
Even if you remove the rust , you will still be left with a pitted surface.( not conducive to a sharp edge) you will need to get the flat edge down to good steel with not pitting by some sort of abrasive means. I'm with Pearly on the razor sharp tools, but I've seen a lot of guys on here prefer a dull edge  ???. To me a dull edge on a cutting tool means more force ,less control and risk of injury. to each his own.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 01:02:39 pm »
i like my draw knife super sharp too

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 09:06:54 pm »
Here are the two draw knives I want to clean up.  The bottom one looks like it was sharpened on a bench grinder.  The edge is in rough shape.  The top one is pretty thick and straight edged.  It would work great for ripping sapwood off if I'm able to get it cleaned up.

Here is the curved one and a throwing knife made from an old file.  The throwing knife is well balanced.  When we found it I threw it and stuck it my first three times.      All of these were found in my grandpas tool shed when we tore it down.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 09:38:54 pm »
The one on the bottom left is for shaping the seats of chairs .Called an inshave. Handy tool................... if your making chairs ;). The drawknives don't look too bad. Better than the one's I've resurrected, and they came out fine.  Just be careful not to bevel both sides . Keep the bottom flat.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 01:02:33 pm »
oooooo i like that throwing knife