Author Topic: Old-time tipi materials  (Read 4923 times)

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
Re: Old-time tipi materials
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 08:16:16 am »
I'm sorry Slim,,,,,, what were you saying? What day is it? Wednesday? I'll probably have to return to work tomorrow. I guess I'll throw a tipi picture on here to keep with the topic of the thread.  This is the Cheyenne style tipi of a friend from Kansas.  CC
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:26:00 am by tipi stuff »

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 12:49:02 pm »
Okay, better shots of sliders and whipping top. Looks more old-time this way. Ice is supposed to melt off later today. CC

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 02:57:37 pm »
Whoever did the photography, tell her it's stunning!  Whoever she might be.  I'll bet the kids who played with those back in the day, had more fun than kids today!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 02:57:45 pm »
IsaacW, here is a photo of that pad saddle on a horse.  CC

Very cool, thanks!!!   I like the firmness, etc. of it compared to other reconstructions  I have seen!
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 05:20:48 pm »
Mr Carter,

If you do not mind, what is that saddle stuffed with? 

Thank you,

Isaac
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 07:10:10 pm »
Isaac,
Mine is stuffed with buffalo hair, but they were also stuffed with antelope hair and sometimes just grass. I would think you could stuff one with deer hair, though I have not seen a reference to it. Seems as if deer hair would be similar to antelope.  CC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 11:26:38 pm »
Ice gliders!!!  Cool! 

I used to work at Cross Ranch State Park up in North Dakota.  Just up the river a ways was a very old Mandan village site.  When it was excavated they found hundreds and hundreds of those buffalo rib ice gliders.  Many had incised lines on them, possibly to denote whose glider won a particular competition.  That whole area was one archeological site on top of another.  Downstream was the Mandan village site of Sanger.  The lodges there were rectangular instead of round, indicating they were some of the very earliest Mandan to arrive this far upstream. 

I wish I had the dates of possible occupation of the Ice Glider Village site for you, but it's been close to 25 years since I worked there.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2013, 08:16:17 am »
Very cool info JW. I know the site you are talking about, but I've never been up to see any of those earth lodge sites. One of my buddies has a couple of incised gliders, and I keep thinking I should incise mine. I'll consider this the boost I need to get that done

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2013, 10:50:04 pm »
Being that I am interested in western Great Lakes stuff... Canadien and métis, I figure buffalo is good.... I also have a good 3 large bags of Buffy wool to use  ;D. Just need to get around to tanning the deer hide in the freezer so I can build the pad.  Heck, I really need to get another hide and meat.. And other parts in the freezer .  Tomorrow is that last day of season and I am really hoping for goodness with the new NW gun!
Aldo Leopold

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2013, 04:59:21 pm »
There are lots of photos of nice looking Cree pad saddles. Some of them are very elaborately decorated.

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2013, 07:55:30 pm »
Indeed!  I have been collecting images for a couple years with this project in he the back of my head!  There is one that was in the Warnock collection, IIRC that was very nice with painting and quillwork... VERY Cree looking. 
Aldo Leopold

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2013, 10:50:47 am »
Here is the one I mentioned... likely my all time favorite!
Aldo Leopold

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 07:50:43 pm »
Isaac, that is a beauty! I hadn't seen this one before. Lots of nice quillwork on that thing!

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2013, 01:51:07 pm »
Rainy day here today. Thought I would post a couple of photos that a guy took of my tipi this summer.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2013, 03:17:25 pm »
Very nice!!  Brain overload!!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr