Author Topic: 1936 Keasay bow  (Read 3456 times)

Offline theOhioan

1936 Keasay bow
« on: December 01, 2013, 02:23:55 pm »
Hey everyone ..... new here and new to primitive archery. Got here by finding a un shot, un strung, Gilman Keasay bow dated 1936. There are other markings on bow, but no draw weight or length . Just curious if anyone here is specifically interested in keasay bows and any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: 1936 Keasay bow
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 02:39:35 pm »
Not ringing a bell with Me .
Welcome to Pa anyway !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 02:57:36 pm »
"Corvallis resident Gilman Keasey (1909-1999) was a renowned maker of wood bows and arrows, and was a champion archer who could "put 9 out of 9 arrows into a plate-sized circle from 90 yards." He won the National Archery Championship in 1935 and 1936, taught archery at Oregon State University, and co-authored a textbook on the sport."

He made'em, shot'em, and wrote the book on 'em.  If that bow is in any decent condition, it is a great piece of history.  Does it look like it is made of yew?

Pics, man, pictures!  Don't you know most of us can't read?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 03:55:22 pm »
Figured he must have been westerner the pony express didn't bring much good news back east !  >:D :laugh: :laugh:
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline seabass

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 06:13:59 pm »
I also want to see some pics.i am sure it is a true treasure.
Middletown,Ohio

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 06:21:51 pm »
Can you PLEEEEASE post some pics?  :)

Offline theOhioan

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 07:18:39 pm »
Yes bow is made of yew.....doesn't look like it's ever seen a string or been shot, also has some different writings on it, the skeleton key -- followed by a "z". I have researched Mr. Keasey and normally length and draw weight are listed in this spot, only thing I came up with was if you say those markings quickly it says his last name. Anyhow thank you for the interest and here are some pics.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 08:35:09 pm »
Thanks for the pics....what makes you think it hasn't seen a string and been shot? By the looks from here id say it prob has been. What area in Ohio are you located? Jus curious as I'm only a few miles from the Ohio border in pa...

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 08:58:39 pm »
I'm a huge fan and try to follow all of the posts and photos I can find of Mr. Keasey's work. Here's a link to some photos of one of Gilman's bows I have. I shoot it on occasion but have never taken it to the woods. That may change as I'm seriously considering using it for this late season to try for a doe.
I've tuned some 45# spine, barrel tapered poplar arrows that fly incredibly accurate from the bow.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,19641.0.html   
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline theOhioan

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 01:28:03 pm »
 There are no fletching marks on grip arrow rest area, also no wear from "string slap" from being shot. Though we would love to string and shoot it ..... advice from museum curators is "not" to shoot the bow or string it. Funny thing about the bow is the reaction from people, some are excited and wanna get there hands on it, yet the U. of Oregon archives and historical personal were put out by the request for any documentation of team members or his records on the art of bow building. We will treat the bow as historical treasure, and the glass case is being built as I type. Blackhawk.... we are no longer in Ohio..... we moved to the panhandle of Idaho..... and I see big game hunting in our future.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 10:32:02 pm »
Thats a real treasure, thanks for posting pics of this piece of archery history.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 12:57:09 am »
That is a fine piece of history you have.  I have some yew billets from Keasey's stock and I treasure them. One day I will have to build a bow from them. 
Dave Doran of Archery Past knows quite a bit about the late Gilman Keasey.  Nick Nott (author of Den of the Old bowhunter: stories and photos of Chester Stevenson) has several of his bows in his possession.   A search for "Benton county Museum Keasey" turns up several neat photos. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Gordon

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 01:55:15 am »
That bow is a real treasure. How did you find it?
Gordon

Offline chamookman

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 04:21:00 am »
NICE - I love seeing these Old Bows surface ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.