Author Topic: Michigan Elk Hunt  (Read 2342 times)

Offline RyanR

Michigan Elk Hunt
« on: November 27, 2013, 09:54:20 pm »
I was fortunate to draw one of 200 Michigan elk tags. Being unfamiliar with elk I am wondering what parts should I save from it if I am lucky enough to shoot one? Better to ask now so I am prepared.
So far my list is meat, brains, hide, back sinew, leg sinew, hooves and ivories. I didn't mention antler because it is a cow tag. Am I forgetting anything. My hunt Starts December 7th.

Offline coxral

Re: Michigan Elk Hunt
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 12:19:15 am »
Some people use some of the bones. Good luck!

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 12:52:10 am »
Congrats on the tag good luck. Don't forget the liver and heart. Liver and onions are good for breakfast dinner and supper makes good lunch sandwiches to ;) mm,mm good
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 03:51:02 am »
Congrats on the tag Ryan. I'd get the tongue also - best of luck n the Hunt ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 09:21:40 am »
Just think steer and your good man. Save anything you would butchering a steer, plus the hide. The skull would be cool. Dont they have ivorys?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 10:50:26 am »
Just think steer and your good man. Save anything you would butchering a steer, plus the hide. The skull would be cool. Dont they have ivorys?
Yes, I will get the ivory. Not sure what I will do with them. I will post some pictures if I get one.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 08:01:23 am »
The hooves would make some nice overlays to.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 08:37:23 am »
Here is a link to a skull mount How-to I did a while back.  Halfway down the page is a cow elk skull that I cleaned for a guy.  It looked good even though it didn't have antlers.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,22130.45.html
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline RyanR

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 08:56:39 am »
The hooves would make some nice overlays to.
I was thinking bow rack but, overlays are a possibility.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 09:01:00 am »
Here is a link to a skull mount How-to I did a while back.  Halfway down the page is a cow elk skull that I cleaned for a guy.  It looked good even though it didn't have antlers.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,22130.45.html
That looks pretty cool, can't believe how big it is. I have a little fold out table just like yours in the picture. :)