Author Topic: Deep winter 0 degree glove mod  (Read 1726 times)

Offline iowabow

Deep winter 0 degree glove mod
« on: November 27, 2013, 10:04:04 am »
For the last couple of years here in Iowa I have been looking for a solution to my cold hands issue  as it relates to my primitive archery gear. So let me say first that I always keep my hands in the pockets of my coat when temp drops below 28 degrees this helps keep my arms warm. So I like the feel of a thin glove on my bow hand but if I have to hold the bow for a long time ( like as a deer slowly walks in) then my hand gets real cold. It really has to do mostly with the back of the hand because the wind is blocked by the bow grip. So the super simple solution...small sock folded in half on the back of the hand. Yes it took me two years to come up with that. This will increase warmth without changing placement of the arrow on the top of finger (I shoot off hand)
Now the arrow hand glove required a little more thinking again a simple solution I cut a thin wind proof glove in half and sewed it to the back of my arrow hand glove and cut the finger tips to allow the bow glove (finger tips) to slip through. These two solutions allow me to hunt in windy cold condition without compromising the feel of the bow.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 10:07:38 am by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Deep winter 0 degree glove mod
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 10:18:28 am »
Ya hands have always been a problem for me also,feet ,no problem and guess I am blessed for that,I use flip back glove/mittens and they seem to work OK. I do practice with them because it does feel a little different but have a glue on or cut in shelf on my hunting bows so as long as I can hold the bow I am pretty good,not shooting off my hand just right over the top of it. I will need them in the morning,cold here also.Supposed to 15 with wind 5 out of the North at daylight .
That's chilly for Tennessee. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 10:20:42 am »
Genius!!!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 03:48:31 pm »
 8) dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 02:01:03 am »
My toes and fingers are the only problem I ever have even with thick gloves it seems they still get cold after an hour or two and toes still go numb with 3 pairs of socks on and heavy boots
I like osage

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 04:34:24 am »
Deep cold requires isometrics before you feel cold. Try working your muscles every 15 mins and keep you hands in pockets out of wind till you see a deer. I have 1500 thinsolate boots and that helps a lot.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline bushboy

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 11:57:52 am »
For me a neck warmer and chocolate helps!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 12:20:52 pm »
i get colder, faster , walking to and from a hunting spot than when im just sitting there...adrenaline i guess...lol
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 12:34:29 pm »
I sometimes hunt in quite cold conditions -15 C. or so . I use gloves with cutoff fingers that have the mitt that folds down over the ends I'll see if I can post some pics. I also bring  things like nuts and raisins  to snack on. The smell of the salt likely doesn't hurt your cause ,either. (nothing loud) Your body warms up when you are eating. Warm head is also the key. If your  head and body core  aren't warm ,it robs the heat from the fingers and toes. I sometimes bring an extra coat that I wear like a blanket wrapped around while sitting . If I hear something coming ,I let the coat slip off my shoulders on to the ground . This works pretty well for staying warm ,as you are kind of crouched  and huddled. I've only done this in remote areas where you don't get all of the peripheral noise from highways , etc. , so you can hear things coming before you see them.  You could also tuck a piece of fur in your pocket. It's amazing how much warmer it is with a bit of rabbit fur in there.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 12:49:13 pm »
 Haha, I guess the wooly arms might help too!