Author Topic: How I Fletch Arrows  (Read 4601 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

How I Fletch Arrows
« on: November 27, 2013, 08:42:38 pm »
I just wrote a blog on how I fletch my arrows.  I kind of came up with it on my own but I think it's been done before.  I probably haven't read enough literature to know all the different methods. 

http://primitivetim.blogspot.com/2013/11/primitive-archery-innovation.html

The pictures below are the same in the blog but show the progression without any description

Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: How I Fletch Arrows
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 09:12:22 pm »
Tim how does the one fly that you split the shaft.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 09:21:43 pm »
Tim how does the one fly that you split the shaft.
I split the shaft for all of them and the latest flies best.  Need to do more testing on my heavier weight bow but so far so good.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline 4dog

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 10:02:46 am »
split shaft has been done for a loooooooong time,, that being said looooooove me some two fletch , i find them to be quieter and most cases faster flying arrows...plus,, they just look so cool!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 01:11:09 pm »
Tim, 
         I like to see truly natural stuff on here. My hats off to you, no plastic no epoxy...Those are PA arrows. Thanks for sharing dude.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 04:08:11 am »
split shaft has been done for a loooooooong time,, that being said looooooove me some two fletch , i find them to be quieter and most cases faster flying arrows...plus,, they just look so cool!
  Yeah, I made an arrow like that then found out that people have been making them like that for a while.  Coming up with old technologies. lol  Two fletch is so sweet!  When I first attempted fletching I tried 3 fletch until I saw a picture of an eastern two fletch.  Now I'll likely be using split shaft fletch from here on out.

Tim, 
         I like to see truly natural stuff on here. My hats off to you, no plastic no epoxy...Those are PA arrows. Thanks for sharing dude.

What attracted me to primitive archery was that I would never have to go to the store to get supplies and spend money.  I do have to go to the post office for trades though. thanks for the compliments.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 08:50:36 pm »
     Tim,
            How about some side and top over head pics. Do the shafts tend to continue to split after use and impact? I see their tied well, was wondering how durable they were. Once the shaft is split do you have trouble pulling it back together to sinew it closed? Are you using shafts with a pith to give the quill room inside?  I would like to try one, I have plenty material to experiment with. I've been tying mine on the outside for a good while now.
                               Thanks Don
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 09:01:45 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 08:59:34 pm »
   Wow I finally woke up and read your blog and seen you use cane... O:)

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 12:52:05 am »

How about some side and top over head pics. Do the shafts tend to continue to split after use and impact? I see their tied well, was wondering how durable they were. Once the shaft is split do you have trouble pulling it back together to sinew it closed?  I would like to try one, I have plenty material to experiment with. I've been tying mine on the outside for a good while now.
                               Thanks Don

I haven't noticed any additional splitting on the shafts.  Seasoned cane doesn't split terribly easily.  As far as I can tell they're pretty durable.  No trouble at all sinewing the split shaft after the feathers are inserted.  You should try it! 

Offline Utmostcone

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 10:41:14 pm »
I need some quick arrows so i think i'll be using this method :) thanks for posting!
Boe a hyn: neled herain, dan caer menig?
Nedin dagor hen ú-'erir ortheri. Natha daged dhaer.