Author Topic: Hickory Holmgaard / Molly / Slight Recurve  (Read 8934 times)

Offline ErictheViking

Re: Hickory Holmgaard / Molly / Slight Recurve
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2013, 06:59:04 pm »
thats dead sexy! reminds me of beautiful woman in a sleek black catsuit. (btw i said a catsuit thats sleek, not sleek in a catsuit)
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Weylin

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2013, 10:21:46 pm »
Looks pretty sweet, buddy. You should get that in the BOM contest! You sure make some pretty bows.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2013, 09:09:05 am »
Thats a good looking tiller wind.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2013, 11:12:16 am »
FRITZ - I used Fiebing's Leather Dye - Chocolate Brown and a bit of Black.  The color actually has more red in it than I was expecting.  You can see an almost cherry like look to it in the sun. I was going for a darker chocolate brown but it turned out okay.   Leather dye doesn't always look the same when you use it on wood.  Probably cuz it's "LEATHER" dye.  ;D   

Anyway I prefer using leather dye because it's easy to work with, affordable, a little goes a long way, it thins with alcohol and dries fast.  You have to experiment a little on a test piece sometimes.      I also used a coat of Black Walnut Stain (from Minwax).  I was having a tough time working the dye into the grain and that did the trick.  Finally it's finished with 12 coats of clear gloss wipe on polyurethane.  I know not everyone likes "shiny" but I do.  So I used it.  Put on 10 coats sand with 0000 steal wool. cleaned off ALL the little steal wool particles with compressed air - add 2 more very thin coats.

ErictheViking - thanks dude - uh..yeah now there's an image I can't unsee.  >:D  HA!  No offense Sleek!   O:)

Weylin - thanks bro. I really appreciate it! 

PD - Thanks dude!

Thanks again everyone!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 12:18:17 pm by Arrowind »
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline FRITZ 86

« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2013, 12:06:14 pm »
Thanks bro! I have the hardest time getting hickory to take any kind of stain very well. I'm gonna give the leather dyes a try next time around.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2013, 06:38:16 pm »
cool all around,wicked!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2013, 12:21:03 pm »
Fritz - Sure! I think you will like dye - you can also try Rit Dye.  I don't use it (not that I have anything against it. I just haven't tried it yet) but I know many other people do. 

bushboy - thanks!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?