Author Topic: Thanks to someone  (Read 4678 times)

Don Case

Thanks to someone
« on: November 27, 2013, 07:49:53 pm »
I was debarking my Ocean Spray and the drawknife was threatening to cut into the back. Then I remembered reading on here that a dull drawknife works better. I ran a stone over the edge a few times and "presto" all the bark is off in half an hour, slick as a whistle. So thank you to whoever it was that posted that.
Don

Offline bushboy

Re: Thanks to someone
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 08:12:46 pm »
think iread something by jim hamm to that effect,not sure though?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 09:13:17 pm »
I dug into a few backs before I got TBB, Jim Hamm dulls/uses the same drawknife without sharpening it for hundreds of bows. So i ran some sandpaper over it and now that drawknife is my ring chaser. I have a big straight drawblade i use to just dig into gnarly wood. and a third is for debarking. a little  dulling and i havent had any issues since
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 09:14:24 pm »
oh yeah and a forth that is very thin i keep sharp for more detailed work ( around knots and such)
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline campx

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 09:25:44 pm »
Funny, I keep my drawknife SHARP, can't stand it dull!  Then again, I've never used any bow wood that I can chase a ring on!

Don Case

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 09:40:37 pm »
So far all I've used the drawknife for is debarking. I tried to use it on some dry Ocean Spray when it was sharp and just dragged the workbench around the shop. I find cutting OS is like cutting plastic. I'll sharpen it again(or get another) when my Doug Maple is dry.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 09:40:58 pm »
Just read the same thing in TBB volume 1.

Don Case

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 09:47:38 pm »
Maybe that's where I read it. Oh well, someone on here told me to buy the TBB series.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 12:00:46 am »
I preferred a dull drawknife for chasing rings when I had very little experience.  Once I had more tool control, I found I wanted my draw knife as sharp as a broadhead.  Your mileage may vary, do whatever results in a workable bow for you!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Don Case

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 12:43:35 am »
Well, I fit in the "very little experience" slot.  :-[

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 01:14:15 am »
I can't stand using a dull draw knife on black locust, but when I'm debarking vine maple and ash I prefer something dull. I'm thinking I'll get a new-to-me older draw knife to keep sharp and keep my cheap modern thing dull; it's all that steel is good for anyway  ::)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 12:19:17 pm »
antique stored simetimes have good old drawblades.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 01:08:45 pm »
I have two.  One of them is a monster for hoggin out rings and dull.  The other is sharp and small for more detail work. 

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 12:24:46 am »
Don, you ever work Douglas Maple? I cut a bit of it this past summer, but it wasn't good for working out when the summer finished. Wishing I had cut a little more as there was a ton of it by the creek where we lived. Would love to know if it works well for anyone else. Got pics of that OS bow yet?
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Don Case

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 12:42:23 am »
This is my only Doug Maple stave
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,42864.msg575048.html#msg575048

I haven't worked it yet. I've been told it works like Vine maple. I'm puttering away at the OS bow but that stuff is so damn hard. I've put a farriers rasp on my Christmas list. I'm trying not to rush it as the weight just stabilized a few days ago. I've been collecting wood so that when I'm all set to go I've got lots of wood.
Don