Author Topic: Takedowns - Sleeves: Metal, F&^*glass, 3pc Pros/cons  (Read 5550 times)

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
Takedowns - Sleeves: Metal, F&^*glass, 3pc Pros/cons
« on: November 27, 2013, 04:14:03 pm »
Hi Everybody -
I've been considering doing a takedown lately and I'm wondering what people experiences are with the various options.  I've checked out the fiberglass sleeve build along, a few Metal takedown sleeve build alongs and pics, and noticed the varying reviews about them.   Also checked out a bunch of the 3pc takedowns.  All look pretty awesome.

I'm just wondering about stuff like the longevity, the fit, and the potential problems of each design. Does the fit of any of these methods loosen/get sloppy over time? Do the metal takedown sleeves still fit in the winter or summer due to expansion/shrinkage?  Just wondering what the opinions are on the longest lasting, least fussy option. 
Thanks.

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
Re: Takedowns - Sleeves: Metal, F&^*glass, 3pc Pros/cons
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 04:28:08 pm »
Haven't thought about the shrinkage on the metal. I will have to listen closely because I'm gonna make a t/d for elk hunting next year and that would suck if I couldn't get it out!!!
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 05:01:10 pm »
I think not being able to get it in would be worse......  >:D

Offline dbb

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 05:10:41 pm »
Never built a takedown but i think a 3piece is the safest route,no risk of being stuck or dents making it impossible to "get it in" 8)
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 05:25:33 pm »
If I were you seriously consider a 3 peice. Have only built one, an experiement but none the less you learn on doing different type.  Right out of the gate I did not hesitate to build 3 limbs, that way if one broke, the third limb was waiting.  I took maybe 25 shots and the bottom limb snaped. Luckily I had the spare limb waiting, just had to drill the holes.
Its easy to make a 3rd. limb when you have all the tools and material ready to go..! And I find that a 2 peice does not seem to stack as easily, maybe just me,?  but I like the way it pulls smoothly to full draw.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 05:33:18 pm »
How long were your working limbs and for what draw length?   Where did the limb break? Around the riser/hardware area? Would one of the cons of the 3 pc maybe be shorter working limb length due to extra space taken by the riser?

Offline bow101

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 05:44:46 pm »
Limbs are 26" riser is 17 1/2" NTN is 62"......the break was mid way, bad glue line. The limbs were  1 1/2" wide glued 2 peices glued opposite. Next one I build will have limbs about 28" long and riser about 16"

Have a look at this link, its a good example of a takedown built by Bubby.  And ya its all wood..!!http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=24354.0
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 06:20:02 pm »
you can build a plain jane 3 pc simple enough but if you want a nice one they are a lot of work, I've built quite a few so I have some experience, working on a sleeve t/dright now and it is fairly simple, you would have to get pretty careless with it to mess it up
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 06:29:06 pm »
Yeah, I checked that out as well as some of Marc's 3pc. Great bow bubby.   

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 06:31:34 pm »
it depends on what you want, if ya just want a bow you can pack and don't really worry about looks just make a riser and run the bolts all the way thru, I like my bows to look nice before I beat them up >:D

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 07:28:13 pm »
Yeah, I was just trying to start a discussion about any common faults or problems  with any of the typical options.   I feel like I saw some comments about metal takedown sleeves not fitting very well out of the box. Or in the fiberglass sleeve build along I think if the sleeve was attached to the bottom limb the limbs don't hold together perfectly during the draw.  Maybe a certain design is better for fluctuations in temperature or humidity. Right now a 3 pc seems like the most forgiving towards changes in temperature and humidity since bolts are used to tighten the limbs as opposed to relying on a perfectly mated set of metal sleeves or fiberglass. But maybe it doesn't make that much difference at all.

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 07:57:00 pm »
yeah it's a good topic, if you decide on a 3 pc and need some help just send me a pm

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 08:58:45 pm »
I also found this one - anyone tried it?  http://www.dickwightman.com/archeryactivity/bowbuilding/connexionhinge/thehinge.html. Bloody expensive though. Same with the bow bolt.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 09:39:45 pm by bubbles »

mikekeswick

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2013, 04:34:34 am »
There is nothing wrong with standard takedown sleeves. I think 3 rivers sell some but have never used them...
It doesn't matter if the fit isn't perfect out of the box - you will likely need to adjust the fit of the tubes after fitting to your billets anyway. The real potential problem is the billets not being very dry before fitting....don't ask how I know that!!! Get them dry,dry,dry before fitting into the tubes  ;)
Also rawhide works for a set of 'primitive' takedown sleeves. :)

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2013, 12:57:43 pm »
If the wood is not dry enough, I would assume it would shrink as it dried further and loosen the fit?
I was intending on using boards for this (kiln dried).  should I blast the ends with a heat gun before fitting the sleeves to drive out any moisture that might be left?