Author Topic: lemonwood (degame) as a backing  (Read 3140 times)

Offline Badger

lemonwood (degame) as a backing
« on: November 27, 2013, 03:18:45 pm »
   I know several guys have built lemonwood self bows or backed lemonwood with other woods but has anyone used it for a backing on a heavy war bow. I built a 60# osage backed with lemonwood last week I was real happy with and plan to make one a bit heavier this week.

Offline toomanyknots

Re: lemonwood (degame) as a backing
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 03:46:45 pm »
I haven't ever even seen lemon wood in person, but I am curious and will be following this thread. After seeing a good amount of ipe self bows, I have been wanting to try a ipe backed hickory, ( just for kicks and giggles  :D ), as it doesn't seem too hard to find straight clear grain ipe. With my little primitive bend tests, a lot of the time it is toe toe with hickory.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 05:14:46 pm »
     I suspect that the lemonwood is a tad more elastic in tension than some other woods. I wasn't able to get the outer limbs bending as much as I wanted without loosing more weight as I underestimated the thickness at the handle based on others I have done. I may drop it to 50# and get the bend the way I want it.

Offline Bearded bowyer

• I'm younger than I look.........honest!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 05:16:23 pm »
Not sure if this helps but I have a 110lbs@32 Hickory lemonwood, bow I have made, Is behaves impeccably. I use lemon wood a lot, but have never considered using it as a backing.
I have lots of hickory, oroko, ipe and lemon wood. Happy to experiment if you would like...........

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 06:12:34 pm »
  I would be curious as to how lemonwood behaved with ipe using the lemonwood as a backing.

Offline Bearded bowyer

• I'm younger than I look.........honest!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 06:46:15 pm »
ok.
What sort of draw weight do you want me to aim for?
matt