Author Topic: Canadian types of bow  (Read 6987 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Canadian types of bow
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 09:27:52 am »
You really should consider mostly making some gear as you go when you get here. BC also likely has accessible Ocean Spray  and Vine Maple.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 10:06:32 am »
Sounds like a really cool adventure what ever you decide to make or when.I know you have to be looking forward to it. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 01:16:06 pm »
If you want shoots shafts, the typical materials where if course oceanspray and osoberry. Those are good heavy shafts. Dogwood was used but was not a favorite. Split timber shafts of cedar have also been found in caches.
As far as bows the flat and wide 'paddle bow' was the common style from California to SE Alaska. First choice was yew, and they would travel miles into the hills to get it, or simply trade there coastal good to the moieties who used yew as a trade item closer to the cascade range.  a sinew backed yew bow was considered the cream of the crop. The second choice was purely up to the bowyer, or the one who was on the receiving end of the trade.  The Siletz natives on the central coast of Oregon used yew, but Vinemaple was a very close second, even spruce was used for bows. Though there are no bows in tact, but it was thought that they would use salmon skin to cover there sinew. But only skin from the largest salmon, the chinook.
The back was usually painted with black paint and the belly red. Salmon eggs where used as a binder.
The more elaborate geometric painting came from down south (souther Oregon and Northern California)
As with most cases, the elders built the best and sweetest shooting bows. If a child showed talent at a young age they would then take an apprenticeship from the elder bowyer or craftsman.
And the same thing applied to those who showed talent for other things like jewelry and carving.

There many styles of this particular bow. Choosing which one you like is the hard part:)
My favorite one is made by the Makkah, Salish, and Kwakiutl. I have museum photos I will try and post later on today :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:19:55 pm by Bryce (Pinecone) »
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 04:13:23 pm »
here is one of my favorites! this one was found in the territory of the coast salish burned markings on the back.

this one is one by the Nootka people. the teal color was a hard color to get and might mean the bow belonged to someone wealthy

another nootka bow. this one is yew, i have seen at the 'Burke Museum' this same style but the wood was sitka spruce. highly violated back. also a favorite of mine. notice the trianglular cross section towards the tips.

here is one by the Haida people. whats interesting about this one is the amount of set. was probably abandoned and left strung. the back is painted black. but what is nice about this bow is the shape. you can clearly see how the bow was tillered and meant to bend.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 04:17:21 pm by Bryce (Pinecone) »
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 04:21:22 pm »
Awesome pictures.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 06:13:34 pm »
Wonder what the draw length was with these? If the backs were violated how much tension could they have been under? Also how long where the bows???
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 07:11:49 pm »
Wonder what the draw length was with these? If the backs were violated how much tension could they have been under? Also how long where the bows???

Well it is yew. Even without sapwood it's still tension strong. Hard to tell the draw length without the arrows that go with the bow.
Some of these at one point or another had sinew. Then again some didn't.
Clatskanie, Oregon