Author Topic: Tips  (Read 1921 times)

Don Case

Tips
« on: November 27, 2013, 03:17:04 pm »
How do you decide how big the tips are going to be? I've seen them from pencil thin(almost) to 3/4" wide. Is it just an aesthetics thing? I would think smaller is better(less mass) but there is obviously a limit.
Don

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tips
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 03:19:36 pm »
Don I usually go with 1/2" or so until first bracing then reduce them to 3/8" or less. If you keep the tips thicker but narrow the width you will have a strong but light weight tip.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 03:19:54 pm »
The smallest you can possibly get the tips without compromising their integrity is the best route from an efficiency point of view.

I rough them out to about a half inch, and then I reduce them from there as I tiller. I've never measured my finished tips so I don't know how narrow I normally go.

Don Case

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 03:22:59 pm »
Thanks guys! That was quick, I haven't even got halfway through my coffee.
Don

Offline DuBois

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 06:19:41 pm »
From what I understand, wood is much stronger being thicker than it is when wider, so you can have very narrow tips if they are thick enough. Also, it seems it would depend on what the wood is; softer or more dense.
This is mostly not from experience of my own, but I think tip overlays are mostly needed when wood is softer or more brittle like the ERC I am working on because eventually the string might wear into the wood. Hope that helps. Doob.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 06:53:26 pm »
From what I understand, wood is much stronger being thicker than it is when wider

That's not just wood, that's every material on earth.
I like osage

Offline dbb

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 07:35:14 pm »
I think the rule of thumb is
Twice the width is twice as strong,twice as thick is 8x strong.
I dont think it is exact but it gives you the general idea.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline DuBois

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 07:49:52 pm »
From what I understand, wood is much stronger being thicker than it is when wider

That's not just wood, that's every material on earth.

Thanks for clarifying.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 07:52:27 pm »
I posted this a while ago, trying to find out the same thing.  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,39375.msg524063.html#msg524063
If I do self nocks I go .5" wide by .5" deep. Still gives enough wood to file shoulders on to. If I do a nock overlay, I go as thin as 5/16" wide for a 50lb bow. I dont go any less than 1/2" deep.  That's with whitewoods.

Don Case

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 07:52:34 pm »
As long as you remember not to confuse thick and wide ;) Thanks for all the answers, my tips are much narrower now.