Author Topic: White wood cut in winter. What about the bark?  (Read 2523 times)

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
White wood cut in winter. What about the bark?
« on: November 27, 2013, 11:32:46 am »
I have some elm,hickory,pecan,red oak, and persimmon that a friend let me cut down before the tree trimmers bulldozed the area. How do I get the bark off? Do I do it on stave form or when the bow is made and what part of the bow making? I have heard people making them with bark on the back, how would I do that? Sand it down? To what thickness? Thanks for any feedback
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline dwardo

Re: White wood cut in winter. What about the bark?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 12:44:10 pm »
I tend to rough out the bow profile and leave the bark on for a few weeks or so then remove it.
Its harder to remove the bark as time goes on but I have had less problems with the back checking.
Some coat the back of the bow as soon as the bark has been removed but even this was i have had the back check. But i do rush my seasoning.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 01:04:36 pm »
I like to get the bark off before spring thaw, so the bugs are all gone before they hatch !
The critters can cause all kinds of trouble !
After I split it ( I tend to split close to size) I Rip it off with a draw-knife !!
Have fun !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 01:38:44 pm »
Get close with a dknife and then scrape off the rest with a scraper like tool.  Easy does it so as not to violate a ring. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 02:49:38 pm »
If I cut in winter I like hickory, get the bark off and leave traces of inner bark on as a sort of natural camo pattern. Most other woods I cut in spring and summer when I can just rip bark off
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 04:25:24 pm »
I could see doing that with hickory and pecan and persimmon because they have thinner bark but what about that oak that I cut? I think i may leave the bark on some of those because the bark is thick and that would be absolutely killer camo in a tree! ;D ;)  how would I do that? Sand it down or leave it full thickness? Thanks guy for your responses
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 04:40:22 pm »
The bark  will  dry out and fall off. Been there. I left some one a bow, it let loose and the bow broke. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!