Author Topic: Bradford pear? Bow or no?  (Read 10192 times)

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
Bradford pear? Bow or no?
« on: November 25, 2013, 05:31:55 pm »
Hey all. So, make sure your complaints aren't heard as prayers, cause last week I was complaining about not being as physically active since we got to Missouri when a storm comes through and takes a whole tree down in my in-laws back yard. After a day of bow sawing and limbing, I have what could be about 8 staves from the thing. It is a Bradford Pear tree. Any experience with this tree? I will probably give it a shot anyway, cause why not, but I want to hear what experience some of you fine bowyers of the world may have to guide this young Jedi...
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Offline TacticalFate

Re: Bradford pear? Bow or no?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 05:41:26 pm »
I made a mini-bow with it once. Seems like quite a brittle wood, so long and wide is what I'd go for. Better for carving than for bows in my opinion.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 08:10:59 pm »
Run a search for "Bradford".
Really, the search function works quite well here.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 09:39:23 pm »

Or we could have a conversation about it because, it's, ya know a forum for discussion. Don't get me wrong, searching through the archives is helpful to get more information but if that's all people did then there wouldn't be any discussion on the boards and then no one would come here any more. Sorry to sound so peevish but I swear 90% of your responses are snippy reminders for people to search instead of discuss. If you don't want to contribute to a conversation then maybe you should just ignore it. There are plenty that I ignore.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 09:54:08 pm »
I couldn't agree more Weylin.  As far as the search function working quite well...I believe that to be a shameful stretch of the truth.  If you happen to find the magical combination of words to enter, you might get a couple useful hits.  As far as the original question goes, sorry man never tried it.  But I've been eyeballing one for a couple years waiting for a good ice storm to provide me with some nice limbs.  So I'm interested in what answers you get as well.  Josh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 10:13:13 pm »
...and back on track...Bradford Pear, even thought a landscape tree, is a true Pyrus(pear). The problem with them as landscape trees is their structure; the main branches pull away from the trunk under a load(wind, snow, ice)due to their steep angle. The wood itself should be as strong as any other pear. I have never made a bow from Bradford pear but I'd at last give it a try.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 12:11:29 am »
yeah dude give it shot.   pear is listed in TBB4 with .73 SG.  Which should be pretty good bow wood.  I really don't know anything about pear so I just quoting it from the book but I've wondered if it would make a good bow too.  Would really like to see your results!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 12:16:11 am »
Thanks guys! Hey Gun Doc, it seems that if the wind is much stronger than a fart, it will fall, so you'll be in luck soon enough, to be sure. I am gonna let it season out until this spring, maybe sooner for one or two  >:D We'll see how it feels. Still yet to find that promised land of Osage groves with bows growing on each branch as prophesized from those folks that claim Missouri has "just as much good bow wood as Oregon". We'll see. Oh, we'll see.
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 12:20:16 am »
Nice segway Pat, well played, Bub :laugh:
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 12:20:47 am »
Do it and let's see it  ;)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 12:40:44 am »

I think the search engine is broke, Darklord, cause I looked up smart ass and all I got was Squirrely. You didn't pop up at all!  ;)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 12:56:21 am »
I don't know what part of MO your at, but I can pretty safely say that whichever part your in, Osage is nearby.  If you took I-70 across KS, all those long lines of trees bordering the fields and mile roads in the eastern half of KS were Osage.  Miles and miles of it. 
I'm hoping to get a limb or two off that pear, but so far everything that's broke off it has been worthless for bows.  Maybe this year will be my lucky year. Josh

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 01:00:15 am »
Gun Doc, I am sure I will get my fill of that pretty yellow wood soon enough. I haven't really been out in the woods yet, and that needs to be remedied!

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 04:11:25 am »
Pear is a funny wood, as mentioned it can be brittle. That said I have just hafted a old axe with a pear handle and it "seems" to be holding up OK. Didn't find a bow stave or billet in my lot so its carving wood only. Interested in what you make of yours. You could add it to the archive, make that search button work better. 8)

Offline dwardo

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 05:57:25 am »
I would imagine it would depend on how clean the staves are. Some of the great woods can tolerate all sorts of nasties where some of the more fussy woods like to be very clean.

For those of you who have problems with the search engines in forums why not use google to search through a specific site only? Its very easy and much more powerful than a standard in-built forum based search engine.

Very simply in a standard google search box just enter the text you want to search for followed by "site:www.primitivearcher.com"
This "site:" tells google you are only interested in results from a specific website.

So for instance, and dont put the quotes in

"pear site:www.primitivearcher.com"

or

"bradford pear site:www.primitivearcher.com"

Simples ;)