Author Topic: Did you ever notice...  (Read 10467 times)

Offline vinemaplebows

Did you ever notice...
« on: November 25, 2013, 03:30:47 pm »
Did you ever notice how many bow woods are either medicinal, or have thorns?? I have been thinking about this, and find it quite ironic. Both life, and death in many species we take for granite in our hobby. Just a thought.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Did you ever notice...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 03:57:16 pm »
Its a love/hate relationship for sure Brian.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline WhitefeatherFout

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 07:56:13 pm »
Definitely cool to think about.  Also, have you ever noticed how many of the better bow woods have higher BTU ratings than other woods?  Kind of a side benefit to building bows is you usually end up with some hot burning wood in the shed.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 01:41:21 pm »
Poison Sumac make a good arrow shaft???   :-\ >:D >:(  If you don't kill'em, you'll make'm wish they was dead!

OneBow

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 03:42:47 am »
I have noticed that too Brian.  The methodological naturalist in me wants to say, "well, maybe there is just a lot of trees that are medicinal or have thorns, and we just notice our bow trees and overlook the others".  But the mystic bowyer in me says, maybe there is something to the idea of bows being feminine in spirit (what, you didn't  know bows have spirits?  ;D).  Clearly the bow has very feminine attributes, whereas the arrow is clearly male (A widespread belief  of "primitive" cultures).  So logically the trees that bow wood comes from would be of the female spirit too, right?  So that explains why bow wood trees have the power to heal and the power to poison, why they hold great treasures of beauty but are wrapped in snarly thorns, why they always want to go out, but can't ever seem to get the dishes done... :P
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 02:15:18 pm by Carson (CMB) »
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 05:04:15 am »
+1 Carson well said.  The phenomenon is definitely rooted in the spirit.  From an evolutionary standpoint it also seems that the climates that originally mutated/fostered certain types of trees was a factor.  Conifers survive  in these PNW climates because of our year round amounts of moisture, temperatures, soils.  Most conifers don't make suitable bows, except a few that have adapted to grow slowly like Yew, or stand up to the winds and storms have developed mechanisms to add extra meat to their leeward side making compression or tension wood.  It's amazing what goes into a bow from seed to shot.  A lot of the trees we make bows from were older than our fathers or grandfathers.  I remember reading a rad article in an old primitive archer about the belief that the bow was the moon, cradle and sustained life. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 06:10:35 am »
Deep,real deep. ;) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 09:54:09 am »
I was trying to put up a picture of Keanue Reeves from bill and teds excellent adventure  saying "Whoooooooa man"...would have been funnier than writing it out.

Seriously though Ive used mostly white woods and I think medicinal is a broad term a lot of trees fall under. Maybe thats how woods were first discovered, an ancient human gathering medicine decides they want a bow of good medicine too. Also if a wood (lets say osage) has medicinal properties it has chemical compounds in the wood as well as the leaves and fruit, and the wood is usually oily. does this transfer to the wood being dense an hard as well? I have sassafras that has tight growth rings but is lighter than popcorn right of the stump, yet seems to be an oily wood that was used medicinally.  I am no historian or scientist and I have never studied ancient peoples academically so let me know if I am completely wrong!
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 10:29:07 am »
Hold on guys....lemme go hit the pipe so I can enter into this conversation  8)

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 12:23:11 pm »

Lol that's pretty good.  Didn't see that till now.  Needed that this morning. ;D

Matt

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 12:27:32 pm »

Now that was Phunny...

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline dwardo

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 01:16:46 pm »
I lost my ability to look at trees for their beauty and "spirituality" when I started making bows.... Now all I see is bow wood and not bow wood.  :(
 There are exceptions, off the top of my head aspirin is derived from willow which is a rubbish bow wood.

Yew has been called the tree of life and whilst there is ongoing research into taxol i think it comes from the fact that it looks almost flesh like when the bark is ripped down to heart wood. A lot of old herbal medicines are based on what certain parts of certain plants look like. Certain tubers of plants were prescribed for piles because they looked like errr farmers.

I would imagine BTU has a relation to density which has a relation to good bow wood.

Am i taking all of the fun out of this? Will get my coat.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 02:29:49 pm »
Dwardo, that reminds me of a bit I came across on the internet once referring to what you are describing as the "doctrine of signs".  It pointed out that the three arguably best  bow woods, yew, osage, and ipe, all held medicines that treat female reproductive cancers.  Citing the belief that bows are feminine, this fit with the doctrine of signs.

Hey, where did Blackhawk go?...must of got sidetracked.    ;D

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 04:01:02 pm »

Ha ha that made me laugh out loud...still laughing !! ;D
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 04:15:19 pm »
A tree that produces nuts or fruit
will make a bow that is good to shoot.

Or is it,
A bow that is good to shot is produced by a nut or fruit?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 06:19:22 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr