Author Topic: Quarter sawn board question?  (Read 1521 times)

Offline kid bow

Quarter sawn board question?
« on: November 23, 2013, 10:41:32 am »
Ok so I saw a post that someone used a quarter sawn board and made a bow. Will this work for a bow I'm just looking to build a pyramid style bow. What are the demensions I should ask for I be looking for
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Quarter sawn board question?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 10:50:38 am »
Yes, it will. Look at the edge grain and the grain has to be straight tip to tip. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline kid bow

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 10:52:50 am »
Ok is there a specific measurement I should ask for

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 11:15:27 am »
lots of variables,wood type,draw weight and lenght...........ect......
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 11:25:30 am »
There is a build along on my site. I advise beginners to make a bend in the handle bow...no glued on handles...full width handle. You can leave it 1.5 in wide and try for 50-55#. Instead, you can rip it to 1 3/8" and try for 45-40#.

The grain is most important with al bows and all board cuts will make a bow. Looking at the end or but they are plain sawn (=), rift sawn (//) and quarter sawn (||).

I actually prefer rift saw. With rift sawn and plane sawn you are allowed 2 run outs per limb. I find the grain on rift sawn easier to read than plane sawn.

I don't really like to use quarter sawn because you must find one with perfectly straight grain. Kind of had to do.

Back your first few with silk, burlap or linen with linen being the strongest for  a little extra beginner protection.

More on my site.

Jawge

http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline kid bow

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 11:43:41 am »
That's very helpful thanks jawge. Gunna build a bow for a kid in the neiborhood. He's a like 11 and wants one to shoot so I said why not

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 01:56:03 pm »
I've built a few for neighborhood kids. Take George's advice, his build along for board bows is a beginner's friend without a doubt!

The backing advice is good too. I had one break on my then 10 year old, fortunately he wasn't hurt just scared the begeebers out of him (and me). A little precaution can go a long way...