Author Topic: I might be loosing another dog  (Read 6676 times)

Offline RyanR

Re: I might be loosing another dog
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 06:52:58 pm »
Hopefully he will come through. Sometimes things like chicken bones or pork bones can cause these problems. One of my dogs had a problem with them. All my dog eats is dog food.....other that what he finds.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 05:46:22 am »
Sure need to get some water in him,I have used a syringe to get it down mine before and try and give him something very special  to eat,if you can get water down and a little food he may just pull out of it. What is Illegal ?  :-\
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sleek

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 08:50:07 am »
Doing the surgery the vet says he may need myself is. I am getting him to eat very small amounts of wet bread and a few laps of water. His energy is a little better. He actually stands up on his own and will even come to me when I call him. Though its obvious he would rather stay in his dog house. He actually had the energy to bark a little yesterday. This morning, not so much, but he did come to me for his meds. I am on the fence on whether he will come through or not. Doc says if the Xrays are correct, the blockage is whats causing him to vomit everything right back up, but the anti nausue pills seem to be working, and if its a blockage they really shouldnt be, so IDK whats up with this dog right now. I just have my fingers crossed. 
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 09:15:18 am »
How bout some type of laxative? couldn't hurt to ask the vet. I've been following the post, worried each time I see you have posted again.  Hopin the best for ya sleek, dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline sleek

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 09:36:39 am »
I asked while I was there last time, Vet said laxative is a bad idea. If its stuck its stuck. A laxative would just try to force a large object through a small hole and cause his intestine to burst. Thanks for the thoughts though.

Offline CPLSeraphim

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 09:52:41 am »
Best of wishes Sleek, or moreso, your lab. Whats his name, and how you get him?

Offline sleek

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 10:12:23 am »
His name is Koda, from the movie Brother Bear, cause he looked like the character, and I like the movie. I got him off craigslist because I had been wanting a lab for a while to bread with my miniature australian shepard/blue healer,border collie mix. Also, who doesnt love a puppy? Good thing I got him too cause when I picked him up he was one very sick pup. Very bad with worms, and very upset entestinal track. I thought we would loose him as a pup he was so sick. Had him sleep in a laundry basket next to me at night. He would cry so much I could hardly sleep. But we got him all fixed up back then, and no more problems over the years till now.

Soon as I finally get in a place where I plan on staying, I really want some pups from him and my mini mixed mut. Both are stellar dogs. Already had one batch of pups on accident but wasnt in a situation where I could keep any. Beautiful and good ones all of them. One guy I work with loves his I gave him to death. He will talk about her all time. Look forward to being able to keep one myself one day.

Offline bubby

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 03:56:25 pm »
he's most certainly dehydrated by now, any chance the vet can give him an iv to get so more fluid in him, I had a basset pup that got parvo and we did that once a day for I think 3 days, then white rice and cottage cheese for a week, with parvo it's the dehydration that ends up killing most of them, Lucille made it back then, but several years later got cancer
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline CPLSeraphim

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2013, 10:20:05 am »
Good luck with everything, and let us know how the prognosis goes. Happy Thanksgiving. Hopefully things look up for you and Koda.

Offline sleek

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2013, 03:34:20 pm »
Koda is worse. He is to the point that all his energy is gone. His mouth is completely dry, no saliva, even in his throat, and he is now vomiting back bile. His nose is also completely dry, and his eyes wont even open all the way. I have spent all my money trying to save him. I think we will have to go on one last car ride and short walk in the woods, with my 22. I cant even afford the vet to do it. I feel sick.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2013, 04:59:59 pm »
I was hoping  not to hear this conclusion.
I feel for ya Bro.

Offline sleek

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2013, 06:45:51 pm »
Just got back from the vet. I took him for one last visit, basically for justification. Vet said he can feel the blockage by hand now, where he couldnt a few days ago. Meaning it has moved. If it moved, there is a little hope. I say little because its still in the small intestine and there is a small valve between the large and small intestine it will probably get stuck in. Vet said that if by monday, Koda hasnt passed the blockage, then it will be time to make the call. He also offered to euthanize him for free because of my lack of funds.

In the meanwhile, Kodas blood work has shown that his hydration levels, he is about 5% dehydrated. 10% and the body starts shutting down. It seems he has enough working intestine to keep him somewhat hydrated. He is still starving though and  the doc recommended baby food, hoping he has enough intestine to absorb some high in carbohydrate foods, even though he will throw it all back up. So, Monday.... take your time. Im in no hurry.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2013, 09:38:40 pm »
I am so sorry to hear this, buddy. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2013, 02:14:23 am »
I feel for you Sleek I've had to put down a few myself over the years. Never easy no matter how well you know it is the rite thing to do. My last one was a few years back working a fence line in the mountains had to be done but none the less it still haunts me today.
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline JonW

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2013, 01:17:37 am »
I have raised countless litters of pups. I have had some luck with giving them hydrating enemas. to keep them re hydrated is the best thing you can do for them