Author Topic: FYI: Russian Olive cordage  (Read 3473 times)

Offline campx

FYI: Russian Olive cordage
« on: November 24, 2013, 12:07:03 pm »
Looking at Russian Olive for building a bow.  Found that the inner bark is very long and stringy, and strong.  Took a piece that was about 3 feet long, spun it up in a cordless drill, doubled it back and twisted it, let it dry (bark was fresh)....made pretty tough, neat cordage.  Just thought I'd throw it out there!

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: FYI: Russian Olive cordage
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 04:28:08 pm »
Let's see a picture!  It would be cool to have an olive bow and bowstring... and arrows! lol
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Stoker

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 03:09:45 pm »
Never thought of russian olive. We got a load of it out here.. Real twisted stuff..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 03:24:12 pm »
Wish I had some to try. "High Eagle" used to post some nice RO bows. I think he was near you Leroy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 03:50:01 pm »
Pearl drums I remember some russian olive bows " High Eagle" Is not ringing any bells.. Than again I misplace the peanutbutter... Where abouts was he from?
Campx  Russian olive in BC you must be round Kamloops.. Rolled through there on the way salmon fishing/nals in Comox this july...
Thanks Leroy

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 03:55:58 pm »
He may have been in Manitoba? He hasn't posted in a few years I don't think.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline campx

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 11:12:58 pm »
Pearl drums I remember some russian olive bows " High Eagle" Is not ringing any bells.. Than again I misplace the peanutbutter... Where abouts was he from?
Campx  Russian olive in BC you must be round Kamloops.. Rolled through there on the way salmon fishing/nals in Comox this july...
Thanks Leroy
Yup, I live about an hour from Kamloops. Tonnes of RO around here......

Offline Stoker

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 11:14:04 am »
Campx post us a pic of the cordage be interesting to see... Saw lots of good bow wood rolling through BC.. From Revelstoke to comox...Wish I had time to harvest some... Wasn't thinking or prepared enough
Pearl drums  I believe your right There was a fellow biulding bows outta native woods out there.. Did some chokecherry too
Thanks Leroy

Offline campx

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 12:07:40 pm »
Campx post us a pic of the cordage be interesting to see... Saw lots of good bow wood rolling through BC.. From Revelstoke to comox...Wish I had time to harvest some... Wasn't thinking or prepared enough
Pearl drums  I believe your right There was a fellow biulding bows outta native woods out there.. Did some chokecherry too
Thanks Leroy

This is the only useable photo I can post right now.  At work.

Russian olive cordage by CampX, on Flickr

Offline Stoker

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 01:01:16 pm »
Looks like that turned out fairly well... I'll have too watch out for the parks dept trimming trees.. Those guys are pretty easy to get along with...
Thanks Leroy

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 09:14:09 pm »
cool..
had no idea Russian Olive inner bark was any good!
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...