Author Topic: I Feel Like a True Bowyer Now!  (Read 2080 times)

Offline finefirewood

I Feel Like a True Bowyer Now!
« on: November 22, 2013, 08:55:58 am »
Well, the hackberry stave I was working decided it didn't want to be a bow. It gave up with a loud death groan and folded up. :'( It didn't fully explode, but sure sounded like it was going to. I was disappointed, of course, but it felt more like a right of passage! I guess after two successful bows it was bound to happen. I did learn some things, so I guess that's the important thing. Now it's on to the musclewood (hornbeam) I have dried and ready to go. Hopefully that goes better!
Making ordinary wood into fine firewood one stick at a time!

Offline burchett.donald

Re: I Feel Like a True Bowyer Now!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 09:09:13 am »
 Hornbeam is some really dense stubborn stuff(hard to work)...Please be sure to post when you get it bending. I have so much hornbeam around me and read it was used mainly for tool handles. Have a railroad spike hawk I plan on fitting with it.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 09:58:26 am »
I got my right of passage when my second bow, a LONG ash bows top limb blew up and off then came down on the top of my head. every time I go to shoot in a new bow I rub the perma-lump on my thick skull and hope I learned my lesson... I have a few more lumps now but Im figuring it out! :laugh:
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 12:16:14 pm »
There is a lowly simmering ongoing debate about when you can begin to call yourself a bowyer, but it's generally accepted that you DO have to ruin one first.   ;)

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 12:39:04 pm »
but it's generally accepted that you DO have to ruin one first.
Well I believe i've reached black belt in this stage of bowmaking.
It's the following step that need more application  ;D

Offline Hamish

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 07:22:13 pm »
 Best advice for someone early in the bowyers path is take your time to make a bow, rather than rush one out. Speed comes with experience. Put the bow down and come back at a later time, rather than working on it when your concentration is stretched.
Also work out why your bow failed (Its usually one or more of :design/materials/ craftsmanship?)and don't repeat the same mistakes.   
                                                            Hamish.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 11:11:19 pm »
I've got a permanent scar on my head where a maple bow blew on me. I hadn't rounded off the corners yet....lots of blood.  Makes me nervous about unbacked  maple boards. They like to blow on me with no warning. No tics, no splinters, just kaboooom!

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 04:18:11 am »
I've got a permanent scar on my head where a maple bow blew on me. I hadn't rounded off the corners yet....lots of blood.  Makes me nervous about unbacked  maple boards. They like to blow on me with no warning. No tics, no splinters, just kaboooom!

There is always a warning you just have to be tuned into it!! ;) ;)
The grain would tell you it's going to blow.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 05:37:02 pm »
Yes, that's true. Looking back at the tillering pics and studying the grain better I have predicted it. :)  I was referring specifically to noises of failing wood letting you know its about to blow.