Author Topic: zebra wood board  (Read 4278 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
zebra wood board
« on: November 21, 2013, 05:09:18 pm »
Any body ever try a zebra wood board bow? I just picked up a piece of quarter sawn zebra, 5.25" wide by 11/16th" thick. Oh, and it's 58" long. Any ideas??? I feel like trying a self bow, just for the sake of experimenting. I may back it with something though. Just wondered everybody's thoughts.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Joec123able

Re: zebra wood board
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 05:22:29 pm »
Well there is next to no info on zebrawood as a bow wood and I've never seen or even heard of a zebra wood bow so if I were you I'd try it with some sort of wood or bamboo backing
I like osage

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 05:48:17 pm »
Zebra wood has not been a friend to me !
Not only does it stink when working it, it does not seem to have a good consistency,and the belly crushed !
I even had the belly wrinkle under FG so I gave the rest away!
Hope your piece behaves better for you !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 06:05:03 pm »
Its super brittle...I have a big pc i have been using for limb tips & knife scales...savin the rest for the right gun to come along and make a stock from it  ;)... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 06:09:33 pm »
Well, I've got one floor tillered. I'll keep you all posted. I figured if it doesn't work for a bow, it'll end up turkey, deer, and duck calls.

Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 06:20:52 pm »
Made 1 a few years back. Backed it with hickory. Probably 68" long with wide limbs. I've only shot it maybe 200 times. Not happy with it.  I put it next to wenge. Very expensive, terrible dust and poor performance.  I'd take a hickory backed maple any day over it. This is just my experience though and would love to hear from people that like it

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 08:30:43 pm »
I've only ever used zebrawood for tip overlays and grip accent lams. It's expensive. Unless you can get it for free, there are so many other woods that will make a better bow why bother?

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 09:57:20 pm »
Sounds like everybody has the same opinion. I got it fairly cheap, considering it's zebra wood. Had to give it a try. We'll see what happens.

Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 10:47:10 pm »
Yeah, I've just used it as tip overlays and handle overlays. Seems very brittle and weak. Everybody likes the look of it though. If you did make a bow out of it, it would be pretty awesome looking.

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 03:43:45 am »
Use it for core lams next to dark woods. It can be a real looker then. I have never considered it a belly wood.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 04:15:03 am »
Seems to Me, that Wirwicki tried a Z wood bow a few years ago and it chrysled horribly. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 07:28:20 am »
I  even wouldnt waste my time with it...use it for handles n such etc...

gutpile

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 10:45:40 am »
mine broke during glue up perry style...blew up like it was cedar...LOL>..