Author Topic: Ipe questions  (Read 4008 times)

Offline DQ

Ipe questions
« on: November 20, 2013, 11:26:58 am »
I've never worked with ipe and have no experience with it.  How does it compare to Osage or hickory as far as using it in bamboo backed bows?  Is it physically heavier, oilier, harder, softer, etc?  Can bow layout and dimensions be about the same as Osage?  Tip width the same as Osage on a finished bamboo backed bow?

Thanks for any information.  This forum is a wonderful place to gain knowledge from experienced guys who have actually "been there and done that".  Where else can a person learn so much so quickly?

Have a great day!

Darryl 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Ipe questions
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 11:34:26 am »
Nothing compares to osage but ipe is a very god bow wood. It is very oily and some folks are very allergic to it so be warned.
Ipe wants to be narrow say 1" to 1 3/8" wide at the most. It handles boo backing very well. I think you could lay it out just like osage but keep it narrow.
See Brice's(pinecone) post below about Brazilian Cherry(aka ipe)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 11:37:27 am »
Im in Pat's boat.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 11:37:44 am »
I've never had much luck gluing a backing on ipe because it was so oily, but if you can clean it first really well with acetone, it should be fine. I made a hickory backed ipe once, and I treated the dimensions just like I would a solid hickory bow, and it came out a bit stronger, so you can start your dimensions out somewhat narrower. Maybe by 1/4" to 1/2" narrower, this stuff is tough!

My hickory backed ipe bow exploded in the house when I was attempting to string it to show it off to my wife - it was so loud that the dog peed in two rooms at once! So, be warned, get your ipe CLEAN before you glue! 
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 11:41:02 am »
Use a good epoxy glue, not wood glue.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 11:45:59 am »
I never had a problem gluing boo or hickory backings to ipe. I used TBIII or Urac all with good results.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 11:48:11 am »
I never had a problem gluing boo or hickory backings to ipe. I used TBIII or Urac all with good results.

How do you get yours clean? Acetone and a scrub brush? I'd love to use ipe again, but I've STILL got the scars from where mine committed suicide on me, so I'm a little skiddish...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 11:51:00 am »
Its been a while since I built one but I think I just wiped it down with acetone. Don't wait too long after using the acetone though. Just long enough for the acetone to evaporate. I think if you wait longer the acetone actually pulls the oil up from inside the wood. This is only my theory.  ;)

Offline DQ

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 11:53:38 am »
"dog peed in two rooms at once"   LOL!  Those words say more than a thousand pictures!

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 11:56:55 am »
"dog peed in two rooms at once"   LOL!  Those words say more than a thousand pictures!

Oh, that's nothing... the cat jumped so hard that he bounced off two walls before hitting the ground...
It was literally as loud as a rifle shot in my living room! (and yes... regrettably, that has happend too.) Oh, ours is an interesting household, and unfortunately, some noises that happen around here require us to buy new furniture.

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 01:45:05 pm »
I've had good results with ipe and bamboo.  I used resourcinol based two pack glue to fix them together.  The key is to freshly sand the mating surfaces and wipe down very well with plenty of acetone, applying the glue as soon as wood has dried afterwards.  Be careful not to clamp too tightly and use elastic straps / bicycle innertubes if at all possible - using quick clamps or G-clamps can lead to glue starvation in localised areas of the joint.
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 02:26:17 pm »
See Brice's(pinecone) post below about Brazilian Cherry(aka ipe)
Brazilian cherry is not ipé. Brazilian cherry is another name for jatoba.
Ipé is sometimes also called Brazilian walnut (due to the color similarity).
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 02:26:46 pm »
before i glued on my boo i took a light toothing plane to it to give the glue some room and degrease with acetone. probably a little overkill.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline DQ

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 02:31:15 pm »
Your's is a beautiful bow, Bryce!  Your post made me think about trying a BBI.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, information, and the laughs. I appreciate it.

Darryl

Offline DQ

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 02:55:43 pm »
Also...I apologize to everyone for asking a "dumb" question.  One look at the search option gave me all kinds of information.  Thanks!