Author Topic: Anyone ever sinew around knots?  (Read 5205 times)

Offline DuBois

Re: Anyone ever sinew around knots?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 02:18:14 pm »
:o Sweet Dear Jesus....please do a miracle here..Amen  O:)  :laugh:
Yeah, your probably right ::) what the hell am I thinkin'?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 02:23:01 pm »
Use a rasp and decrown it so the knots are flush with the back.  Don't use a draw knife.  And use the finer cut side if your using a farriers rasp.  When you get within an 1/8" of where you want the back to be, dope those knots good with super glue and let cure.  This will stabilize the knots.  After it's cured, take it down the remaining 1/8" to your back.  Redope the knots with super glue, let cure and then course sand it to reduce rasp marks and remove any superglue on the surface.  Sinew away!  Josh

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 02:48:16 pm »
Well there you have !
Gun Doc is the only one I know to pull something like this off !
We need at least one more to do it to prove it can be done !
And that one ain't me so go for it !
I lean toward Pats view of heat to dry out the next one cause I am more than a little lazy !
Have fun !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline DuBois

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 02:49:31 pm »
OK, now we're gettin somewhere! Thanks Josh. This is kinda your fault for making that ERC with the holes clean through it  ;) I gotta try it ya know  >:D
You guys are great on here. Thanks all!
Sorry if my attempt at humor came across as condescending.
It is hard to know for sure how people mean what they saying over a computer. No worries man.

blackhawk

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 03:19:00 pm »
I won't tell ya not to play with firewood because if I did I'd be a hypocrite....but that doesn't mean I can't warn ya the odds are stacked way higher against ya when in doing so...a few years ago I made a hickory backed erc that had 18 nasty knots with many of them an inch or bigger in diameter..it was a firewood piece that survived.... its still in one piece to this day,but guess how much I shoot it? I've gone thru lots of "firewood" just to prove folks wrong,and show others what can be done with wood...and my first reply was an I've been there done that experienced reply,and why I think that way  now.....but we all must learn for ourselves firsthand so carry on

blackhawk

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 04:39:08 pm »
On further thoughts......I'd check and see how rotten,loose,or brittle those knots are...if they look weak in any of those ways I'd take it a step further than gun doc and drill and plug all those knots before sinew application....

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 04:50:58 pm »
I would draw a careful line around the circumference of the log at each knot and make a straight cut through the log at those points. I would then stack it in a dry area and leave it for about 6 months.
 Then I would go and cut a better piece of wood and use the first log as a heat source to speed dry the second piece.

Good one there Pat!  I like how ya think.   :)
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline DuBois

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2013, 05:14:23 pm »
I would draw a careful line around the circumference of the log at each knot and make a straight cut through the log at those points. I would then stack it in a dry area and leave it for about 6 months.
 Then I would go and cut a better piece of wood and use the first log as a heat source to speed dry the second piece.

Good one there Pat!  I like how ya think.   :)
Man I don't know what to think. A guy want to learn how to make bows and gets jokes instead. Is this a bow forum Jon or a joke fest? Just wondering if you have any input on the actual question about sinew to add. It would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 05:20:20 pm by DuBois »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2013, 05:30:19 pm »
Jon was picking on himself Dubes. He was basically saying he'd burn it because he wouldnt try getting a bow from it. He wasnt picking on you, he wouldnt do that.....well, not until he knows ya' better!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 06:41:25 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2013, 07:44:52 pm »
Sorry 'bout that Dube!  I didn't mean to give you bad ideas like character ERC!   >:D. Lol!  Good luck with it and remember to take your time.  You've already found out that it takes a lot of ERC to make a hunting weight bow.  I still have to remind myself to slow down with the roughing in so i don't end up with a kids bow.  Lol!  Josh

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2013, 10:48:32 pm »

Bows / sinew backed juniper with eyes
« by loefflerchuck on July 05, 2010, 01:51:13 pm »
This was a great bow I made some time back. It only lasted 2 years but broke in the dry winter after being overdrawn all that time. The holes went all the way through

Offline Newindian

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2013, 12:46:50 am »
This is just my opinion I'm by no means an expert with ERC, but I've found that it's rumored tendency to break with out reason or much provocation to be exaggerated I wouldn't worry about it that much especially if you follow the advice give I'm sure you'll have a fine bow
I like free stuff.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2013, 11:10:54 am »
A bow stave with knots in it is a great bow building teacher. Forget the sinew and tiller this stave out considering the knots. Take your time and make every scrape count.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DuBois

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2013, 11:54:43 am »
A bow stave with knots in it is a great bow building teacher. Forget the sinew and tiller this stave out considering the knots. Take your time and make every scrape count.  ;)
Too late Pat, I already decrowned it some.

Bows / sinew backed juniper with eyes
« by loefflerchuck on July 05, 2010, 01:51:13 pm »
This was a great bow I made some time back. It only lasted 2 years but broke in the dry winter after being overdrawn all that time. The holes went all the way through
Yes that was a beauty. Definitely made me feel like this could be possible. Thanks Chuck.
I forgive you Josh. I will take it slow so I don't have another light weight on the wall.
Thanks for the input Newindian.

I think I got some good direction and instructions, so I will let ya all know how it goes down the road a ways.

Thanks everybody, even you Jon and PatM  ;)