Author Topic: Drying/humidity  (Read 1523 times)

Don Case

Drying/humidity
« on: November 17, 2013, 04:07:26 pm »
I've got an Ocean Spray stave drying. It was cut in August. I started the drying in my unheated garage and after a month or so I moved it into the house behind the stove. When I first moved it in the temp was about 70 and the R/H was about 60-65%. I weighed it every so often and it was losing 5 or 10 grams a day(approx. numbers). Now with the weather outside getting colder the R/H behind the stove is about 40%. The stave is losing less than a gram a day. It looks to me that the MC is chasing the RH. I looked at the EMC table and it says that 70 degrees and 40% RH is about 7.7 % MC. That's getting too low isn't it? Shouldn't it be 10-14%MC? Advice please, I want to start making chips :)
Don

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: Drying/humidity
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 04:15:22 pm »
I would guess it is a hair higher than what that table reads as it likely hasnt reached equilibrium for that given condition. So if it is 8-9%, I would saw that is perfect for ocean spray.  Get Chipping! :)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 04:49:04 pm »
Hmm it's already that low of Moisture in a couple of months I cut a piece of Osage in September it's been roughed down to where it barely bends its been sitting with heat blowing on it for a week or two I'm thinking it might be getting dry enough to bend alittle
I like osage

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 05:58:55 pm »
If it is still losing a gram a day then it is not ready yet, in my opinion.  Sorry, I read grams as grains.   ::) 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 06:28:50 pm »
Reduce it to near floor tillered dimensions, and monitor how much weight loss there is after that.

If the climate near the stove results in an EMC of 7.7%, I'd move the wood to a different place (either less heat or higher humidity) once you are ready to start tillering.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Don Case

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 07:35:09 pm »
I chopped and rasped til my old arms were tired. Only took a couple hours. Still not floor tillered. I'm seriously thinking of a farriers rasp :P. I'll leave it out in the garage at 55 degrees and 55% RH and continue to watch the weight. That was fun! Now it's going to be tougher to wait.
Don

Offline bow101

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 07:52:38 pm »
The best way I find to dry wood the quickest way is to seal the ends and put it in a semi heated area up on cieiling hooks.  The most heat is higher up.  Dried Hawthorn and Oceanspray perfectly that way in about 6 months, No Checking. ;)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Don Case

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 12:51:37 pm »
I put it out in the shop where the RH is 65% and the temp went down to 45 last night. It gained two grams. That should mean I'm good to go, right?
Don

Offline bow101

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 07:04:15 pm »
I generally leave my bows in the basement, humidity is slightly higher temperature is about 3 degrees below room temp.  I do work ouy in the garage Summer winter whatever, in the winter temp could be 45 degrees, but when I'm done I return the wood to the basement. RH is around 65% ...I hope that makes sense. 
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell