Author Topic: back me up on tiller... patch installed.  (Read 26387 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Re: back me up on tiller... thats all folks... its over
« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2013, 11:18:35 am »
Here's the humidity meter I use in my hotbox.  It has a magnet on the back, so I screwed in a little strip of medal in my hotbox for something to for the magnet to stick to.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/16888914?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=3

Then I use the chart on this link to check the moisture content of the wood by comparing the relative humidity and temp. I printed out this chart, highlight every box from 7.1 to 10.3.  So I have quick reference in my workshop.
http://www.woodworkerssource.com/moisture.php

I tend to believe moisture or lack there of is not the problem.  At this point, it certainly would not hurt to eliminate that issue from the equation.

I, most certainly, am not an expert on whoop-dee-doos.  I've only worked 2 or 3.  They where from 2/3 out to the tips.  I think a whoop-dee-doo at the fades would be the most challenging, because that's where most of the pressure is locate.  And my theory, the kink actually changes the angle of force a bit causing the wood to actually want to bend there more.  I'll leave it to the whoop-dee-doo experts to advice you how to handle it.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline echatham

« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2013, 09:44:09 pm »
Could that crack have been caused by tension when  heating in reflex?

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2013, 07:41:45 am »
Yes,very likely and if so probably won't hunt anything, Perfect tiller on a woop t do stave is sometime not possible,you sometimes have to leave them places stiffer and not bending,I know everyone want the prefect tiller and look like a glass bow but that sometimes don't work when you are working with wood and especially wood with some character.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline artcher1

« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2013, 08:10:59 am »
I agree with Pappy. That crack (not fret) was more than likely to result of heating and bending in some set-back. Hey, it's all a learning experience. Bet you feel smarter already ;D..........Art

Offline echatham

Re: back me up on tiller... patching a limb
« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2013, 09:09:30 am »
im thinking thats the case.  its the only thing that makes sense.  i will feel better with the patch in place anyway i think.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2013, 10:01:48 am »
Nothing worse than spending all that time on a bow and the chrysal of death shows up, sinking feeling in you guts.

As said above though that does not look like a chrysal to me. Certainly not like any i have seen and i have had my fare share. That looks like the grain was lifted at some point. Rather that two planes failing where they find the weakest point and lifting up a compression chrysal, kind of like tectonic plates meeting and shoving up mountains.  Its becoming more apparent as the wood takes more strain.

I would be tempted to scrape it with a sharp blade from handle to tip just over the area and see if it moves back towards the handle.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2013, 11:52:30 am »
Let's see a post-repair photo!  I hope it all hold together for you.

Offline echatham

« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2013, 12:09:03 pm »
Dont worry i will.  You guys will see it finished or firewood.... But i anticipate finished.  Haven't glued in the patch yet.  Got busy all of the sudden.  Hopin to get it glued tonight.

Offline echatham

Re: back me up on tiller... patching a limb... aint over yet ;)
« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2013, 04:02:44 pm »
glue is curing.  still don't have a toothing iron so i used a knife to score both glue surfaces.  will get it cleaned up tomorrow.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2013, 04:33:37 pm »
Yeah baby, that's what I'm talkin about.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #100 on: November 25, 2013, 08:45:26 pm »
This one is looking.....veeeerrry interesting.  :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline echatham

Re: back me up on tiller... patch installed.
« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2013, 04:16:35 pm »
man that is some tedious work getting the edges smoothed over without digging into adjacent wood.  got it as close as i could with a fine tooth file and then about 10 full limb sweeps with 100 grit on each limb and then smoothed both limbs down with 150 and then 220 grit.  can't feel the edges but you can feel a slight hump, which is what i was going for.  by the way it looks like there is a divot below the patch in the first picture, but its not... just some funky coloration of the wood there that makes it look that way.  haven't braced it yet.... got some fatherly duties to attend to.

Don Case

« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2013, 04:24:36 pm »
Is it possible that whatever caused that discoloration also contributed to the crack?

Offline echatham

« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2013, 05:05:23 pm »
its possible i guess but i don't think so.  the darker wood was around the knot, and is very hard, but theres only a sliver of it on the limb. im convinced that crack was 100% due to me trying a little to hard to make that humpty less dumpty.  ???

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2013, 05:40:17 pm »
The patch looks good, Eric. You did a good job blending it in. When you start bending the bow again, start from the beginning, as if beginning to tiller a new bow. I would actually start over with a long string just to be safe, and exercise the limbs 40 times or so after each correction and/or at each additional inch of draw. That way the patch will learn to compress a little at a time and you can gauge the bend in that area as you creep down the tree once again. Wishing you the best.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer