Author Topic: string ouch!  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Bearded bowyer

• I'm younger than I look.........honest!
string ouch!
« on: November 17, 2013, 01:36:42 pm »
Hi everyone

There is a lot of chat about string stretch at the moment, I think I have the same problem.
I'm shooting my 120lb warbow, target style. So I'm getting about 100lbs at 28" shooting target style.
The string does stretch quite a lot, so I have to have the stingloop at about 6" below the nock to get my preferred 6.5 brace height, and it just creeps and creeps down to about 5 inches ish. and I'm getting seriously wacked on the inside of my wrist. I can only manage about 60-70 arrows before I have to give up.

I had begun questioning whether my string alignment was so badly out it was outside of the handle, questioning my judgement. I think even my eyes started to play tricks on me and couldn't seem to tell where the string lied.

Thanks to the current general discussions here and on the other forums I think I have solved my problem.
Currently using Dacron b55
Just ordered some dynaflight 10, hopefully no more wrist wacking...and pain

Just out of interest (hoping I've not lost my marbles) what other causes of wrist slap are there?

Thanks all
Matt

Offline WillS

Re: string ouch!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 02:12:58 pm »
If you were shooting target style bows, reducing wrist slap is usually a bit of increasing brace height plus rolling the bow arm elbow out to bring the wrist straight and flat with the forearm.  Tends to do the trick.

With warbows however, you don't wanna be using a target style if you want the full draw.  Your issue is almost certainly down to brace height, as once you get fully into a warbow, and your shoulder blades are coming together at the back your bow arm should be quite compressed, forcing the elbow to bend a lot and thus keeping the arm well out of the way of the string.  There aren't many wrist slaps in a full 32" heavy bow draw, the arm just shouldn't be close enough really.

Offline Bearded bowyer

• I'm younger than I look.........honest!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 02:19:42 pm »
Dacron strikes again....and again...and again ;)

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 02:40:02 pm »
Dacron strikes again....and again...and again ;)

Haha  :)
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair