Author Topic: Upside Down on the Lake  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Alpinbogen

Upside Down on the Lake
« on: November 12, 2013, 01:11:35 am »
So I went out on the lake this windy weekend, and ended upside down in my kayak, again and again. But there was no hyperventilation or panic, no spike in heart rate and blood pressure, and no gasp reflex or inhalation of frigid water. Any rumors of my death were greatly exaggerated. I actually quite enjoyed myself. I was dressed for immersion, so the grim reapers of Cold Shock, Hypothermia, and Drowning couldn't touch me. I had my camera out, playing and doing some self critique, and decided to make a little video, below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8xJmsWkWms

While I had a blast, almost every other paddler and boater I see on Pennsylvania rivers and lakes this time of year are not dressed so, and would be in serious trouble if they capsized or fell overboard, wearing a PFD or not. With water temperatures across PA (and most of the country) now in the 40-50 degree range, I thought this was a timely opportunity to drop a reminder, and hopefully an educational bit as I recently learned, on cold water safety.

Everyone is aware of hypothermia. But fewer know of cold shock and its instant killer offspring, gasp reflex. Several weeks ago, I sat in on a small group discussion with Moulton Avery, an expert on heat and cold stress, who's groundbreaking article on Cold Shock in 1991, turned the paddling community on its heels. I thought I had a handle on cold water safety, but learned the true physiological effects in cold water were even worse than I understood. For instance, cold shock, the body's involuntary response of spiked blood pressure, heart rate, and breathing affects almost everyone between 50 to 60 degree water temperature. Surprising, is that the body's cold shock response is no worse in 33 degree water than in 55 degree water, since the body cannot react with any more vigor. (33 degree water is just more painful.) If the body endures a gasp reflex, which is an uncontrolled, full lung inhalation at the moment of immersion with the head underwater, the person will die within seconds...wearing a PFD or not.

So, paddlers and boaters and perhaps even fishermen, particularly if you plan to be on the water from now until summer, please visit the National Center for Cold Water Safety's website at www.coldwatersafety.org. Educate yourself on how your body will react to cold water, and then make some smart decisions on when you're out there and how you dress. That's all. Have fun and be safe. Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 01:21:34 am by Alpinbogen »

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: Upside Down on the Lake
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 02:14:32 am »
Looks cold!!! how long does it take for one to be proficient at those rolls?
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 03:10:24 pm »
That is a curious topic to me.  I've jumped into some mighty cold water in the days of my youth.  The Great Lakes in the spring, New England waters behind the gulf stream.  Can't the body be trained to not respond to that gasp reflex?

You raise a great point, people should more strongly think about this when out boating in the cold water.
1’—>1’

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 12:30:08 am »
Soy, It looks cold and "was" cold, but I was dressed for the occasion and perfectly comfortable.  As for length of time to get proficient in rolling?  I'm very much a student in these methods, so I'll let you know when I get there.   8)  So far, I've been at this for almost 3 years, learning heavily on my own and advancing in spurts when I've traveled several hours to get instruction at rare events.  I'm just now starting to get into the moderately difficult stuff.  (BTW, If you think selfbows are a fringe activity, try skin-on-frame kayaks.)

Parnell, Yes, you can train and acclimate to cold water to a degree.  Plunging unexpectedly into open cold water, though, probably produces a more immediate cold shock response than making a conscious decision to enter it from its banks.  Moulton seemed fairly critical of the testing done on subjects in cold water tanks specifically because the environment for the subjects is so controlled.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 09:41:50 am »
And that's why I don't kayak. 

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 06:38:29 pm »
Ha, Defying the elements and rolling / skill building are all part of the fun!   :)  You just need to be safe about it.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 09:03:36 pm »
  GEEEEEZZZZEEE!!!!!!!!!   I  just held my breath for 6 minuets!!!!!  how the     you  friggin  holy cow!!!!! speechless that's what I am.   if I fall off a bar stool I'm down for a few minuets  wow I have questions  thanks   JeffW

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 10:50:05 pm »
I now have two extra Adam's apples.  Thanks.  I am going to need a long hot soak in a steaming shower to get them to descend again...if ever.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 11:18:01 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I have always loved the idea of having a kayak like that. I think it would be awesome to be out on the water in one. But I am also somewhat like a cat, in that I don't like to be wet if I am not supposed to be.   Now I see in your video that you are wearing a nose clip to keep the water out. In the event you are out kayaking and capsize do you have that on?  Or was that just for the video and all the rolling. I am not sure my aching back is that flexible anymore either.

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 11:35:43 pm »
Caveman, Noseclips are nice for practicing rolls over and over in freshwater since it tends to burn the sinuses, but not something worn for general paddling.  Salt water doesn't burn, even if the ocean works like a giant Neti pot, so clips aren't as beneficial there.  In an unexpected capsize, you tend to come up in your combat roll (getting a snoot-full or not), which is the one you are most naturally set up for and comfortable with depending on how you go in...hence the benefit of a healthy repertoire.   ;)

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 01:35:19 am »
Alpin, you have more diverse rolls than I've ever seen in my life.  Your center of gravity and awareness there of is super.

Comments/critiques: Your C to C is not a C to C. Your head such be the last part of you out of the water.  Can I and do I do that? NO.  My "bullet proof" and mostly the only roll I use is a modified sweep/c 2 c in a kayak.  I notice you set up on the same side most of the time.  My biggest suggestion when I was instructing (not professionally, by any means) newbies was to learn to roll equally well on both sides. It has saved my noggin' more times than I can count when taking time to set up a roll on my strong side would have meant going over the next drop not on top of my kayak.  I'm sure you know that.

I come from a whitewater kayaking background.  The only lake paddling I've done is at the end of a run that empties into a lake. And I've never ocean kayak.  That would be fun; a whole set of rules and techniques.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 10:56:55 pm »
Hedge, Thanks for your critique!  Pennsylvania isn't exactly a hotbed for sea kayaks, let alone traditional skinboats.  Rolling lessons don't seem to exist here, not even from the best specialty shops, as I've looked around.  So I'm always open and glad for any instruction or critique...even from a youtube clip.   ;)  Video is a great way to self critique.   I see a number of things in those clips that I need to work on in the various rolls...head up last in the C to C, as you mentioned, shoulders could be more square to the water in a couple of cases, chest scull would improve with an arched back, paddle is coming back past perpendicular in some cases...yada, yada.  I'm coming up each time, but things could be smoother here and there, which would pave the way to work on more difficult techniques.

A lot of rolling skill comes from flexibility.  Two renowned gurus in this traditional paddling circle recently told me that doing yoga is an enormous key for the harder rolls.  I never had any interest in that, but I actually just started it to improve my rolling.  I only have another 6 to 8 weeks to see how much it helps before the water freezes over for winter. 

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 12:01:53 am »
I've been a member of BWA, Bluegrass Wildwater Association.  It's a local paddling.  We rent a pool in the winter time for roll sessions.  You might want to check some local paddling clubs.  They might do the same.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw