Author Topic: Tiller check  (Read 1807 times)

Offline RyanR

Tiller check
« on: November 30, 2013, 03:48:39 pm »
This is my first attempt at a recurve.  It is elm  66" before I bent the tips.  You will notice the right limb in the unbraced photo has a bend in it so take that in account for the tiller.  There was a knot there.  The right limb must be the top(archers paradox). What on average is the final brace height on a bow like this (measured from throat of grip)?  I wussed out on this one and made it real wide (almost 1-3/4) inches to make sure it didn't break.  Tell me what adjustments you see that are needed.  I am going to the store for sandpaper. :D

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Tiller check
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 04:10:20 pm »
looks perfect!

Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 04:22:30 pm »
  Looks good, looks like it didn't take any set at all. What profile did you start with? What kind of wood is it. I wouldn't call making a bow wide enough not to take set wussing out!, thats what you are supposed to do I would think.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 05:29:11 pm »
Something about the right side bugs me.......is it flat half way? Something isnt jiving on the right. Its dang close though.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 07:15:38 pm »
looks like its bending a smidgen too much right before the left recurve

Offline dbb

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 07:20:14 pm »
Something about the right side bugs me.......is it flat half way? Something isnt jiving on the right. Its dang close though.
It might be that the right fade dont bend at all even if it looks like it does because of the deflex...
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline RyanR

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 08:16:19 pm »
It might be that the right fade dont bend at all even if it looks like it does because of the deflex...
I think you are correct. If you saw the other side you would see that the grain swirls up and back down where the knot was. I did hit the right mid limb with some 50 grit a little to put a little more bend there.

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 10:33:00 pm »
The right limb sure doesn't have the nice sweet bend of the left. If it was mine, I'd take a few scrapes off the middle of the right limb.

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 11:05:57 pm »
  Right limb looks to have several small flat spots mainly mid limb. I think he is at full draw allready though?

Offline steve b.

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 03:42:48 am »
I would brace it about 6" for starters, maybe 7".  Shoot it and notice noise and vibration.  Start lowering the brace about 1/4" at a time and note increases in vibration.  Record the lowest brace where the vibration remains minimal.  Then do the same thing but note arrow flight.  Set the brace above the vibration point where you get the best arrow flight.  This assumes that you have properly spined arrows and fixed nocking point.

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 08:56:09 pm »
I'd just have to say that the right recurve looks a little less recurved than the other side.  Other than that, it's perfect.
I could take over the world...  Just need a few more million minions...

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 04:30:34 am »
The left hand limb is bending too much just before the recurve. Careful careful!