Author Topic: Steam-rejecting "Arrakiller," a rebelious bow-- F/D added!  (Read 1788 times)

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Steam-rejecting "Arrakiller," a rebelious bow-- F/D added!
« on: November 16, 2013, 07:50:31 pm »
So I tried to steam the string follow from the deflex handle out but obviously didn't bend it enough. The inner limbs went almost right back to where they were, and then returned to their pre-steamed position after tillering. Does anyone else think that dry heat treating after steam might help BL keep a bend?

Ohwell, it shoots great. In fact, at sixty five pounds, this is the fastest non-mollegabet shooter I have in my possession, and it killed my last arrow sending it through my six layer carpet and plywood backed target! It was an old hole, and I got a hundred fifty through her before the arrow died, so I'm not calling this thing finished yet.

In fact, I'll be starting a trading post soon, I've got lots of this wood but no way to test it without arrows!

I'll get specs and fd as soon as I can, for now I'm kinda rushing  ::)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 12:11:16 am by huisme »
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Blaflair2

Re: Steam-rejecting "Arrakiller," a rebelious bow
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 01:39:52 pm »
How long were they steamed and how long did I keep them in the caul. I steam bent statics on an osage bow like Pearly's post. 25 mins steam, 25 mins form and let set a couple days. I'm finishing it up right now. Almost all tillered out. Statics still there. I think the key is not to mess with it before the statics have fully acclimated to their new form. And letting then cool long enough while in the form.

Also moisture has a big part of it possibly. If your wood isn't dry your heating the center and it seems to be warm longer. The steam adds some moisture. I rubbed mine in crisco and steamed. Big pot on the stove covered in tinfoil. Good luck to ya nice looking bow n e whoo
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline huisme

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 04:46:19 pm »
Forty minute steam and twenty minutes in a 'form' (put the tips in twine tied to the bottom of a tillering stick upon which I pulled and set the bow). I think it might have been that I'm used to the humidity being enough that I can go to work on things the next day, but the house has been dry as a bone recently. I think I'll just add some statics like pearly  ;D
50#@26"

Offline WillS

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 07:27:37 pm »
Quote from: Blaflair2

Also moisture has a big part of it possibly. If your wood isn't dry your heating the center and it seems to be warm longer. The steam adds some moisture. I rubbed mine in crisco and steamed. Big pot on the stove covered in tinfoil. Good luck to ya nice looking bow n e whoo

Just thought I'd add this - steam removes moisture, it doesn't add any.  It actually dries out the wood.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 08:22:57 pm »
Quote from: Blaflair2

Just thought I'd add this - steam removes moisture, it doesn't add any.  It actually dries out the wood.

+1. This is true. I've even done tests to confirm it. Those tests were on green wood though. Never tested steamed wood that had already reached equilibrium with the environment.

Offline huisme

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 03:38:09 pm »
Oh yeah, I didn't catch that.

The bow had definitely lost moisture and a tiny bit of weight before I steamed it, which is why the usually higher humidity being so low probably threw me off.
50#@26"

Offline huisme

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 12:10:39 am »
So a friend wanted this icky red mahogany stuff wiped all over it, so it's all ugly now  O:) A spot of reflex in the upper limb almost got me to hinge that area you see because I hadn't unstrung it for about an hour while tillering with the rasp, which was pretty dumb :o

But it's still bending to my liking ;D Sixty pounds at twenty seven inches, scary fast and a killer on the fingers! All that's left is to find out if the friend wants a wrap or floppy rest, and serve that string!

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 12:14:23 am by huisme »
50#@26"

Offline IdahoMatt

Re: Steam-rejecting "Arrakiller," a rebelious bow-- F/D added!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 01:10:31 am »
Lookin good