Author Topic: Cotton backing?  (Read 1436 times)

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
Cotton backing?
« on: November 16, 2013, 02:43:05 am »
I have heard many things about these backings. I was wondering if I can get that yew bow that has sapwood fungus I have been working on, able to work with cotton backing? Why would/wouldn't it work? Why is cotton like that compared to linen? Or rawhide?
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline wood_bandit 99

Re: Cotton backing?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 12:06:50 pm »
Can I use cotton or should I do rawhide? I have cotton on hand so if it would work that would be nice. Can anyone give me some feedback? This is wood_bandit99 but my account is really weird so I am using this account. Thanks for any feedback

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline dbb

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 12:28:49 pm »
I know people have used denim and thats cotton but personally i like the looks of rawhide much better.
Or why not try a brown paper backing..
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline timbermoose

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 01:13:05 pm »
I have used cotton backing on several bows. it's readily available to me so it's convenient. actually prefer it over the brown paper bag backing, mostly cause I can use a camo t-shirt and get a real nice looking bow.

Offline wood_bandit 99

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 01:39:31 pm »
I will wait and see what percentage of people on here think the same. Just because it never hurt to get too much info! I thought it would work and it looks nearly non existent because I got the sap to match  ;D  if this one works it is going into BOM. I have the little Wood bandit touch to the handle. Youll see what that is  ;)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 01:42:57 pm »
Rawhide
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 04:01:21 pm »
Cotton will work but it absorbs more glue making it heavier than other cloths like linen or silk. Heavier backing means slower limb recovery. You can't go wrong with rawhide if you have it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wood_bandit 99

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 06:12:09 pm »
Could I string my bow backwards and apply it? Would that make it more even to other competitors?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 06:18:23 pm »
I'd say you would be better off using brown grocery bag paper. That would give you the protection and be a lot less weight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC