Author Topic: Where to get good wood?  (Read 4123 times)

Offline dane lund

Where to get good wood?
« on: November 15, 2013, 06:33:20 pm »
OK guys, I just finished my third bow.   All have been board bows to date. My last is a linen backed hickory. Shoots very well @ about 47lbs @28".
I live in AZ, and am having trouble finding good wood. I'd like to try either yew, or Osage for my next project.
Where can I purchase without sacrificing my first born male child? I might, depending on the day!
Thanks in advance.
In His grip,
Smallpatch

blackhawk

Re: Where to get good wood?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 06:44:16 pm »
Go find your self some juniper,n sinew back it...a sinewed juniper will rival any osage or yew bow ;) I'm always a fan and promoter of using and harvesting the best resources in your locale ...and its free...prob some other species as well planted in urban areas

Offline dane lund

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 07:12:03 pm »
There is juniper in AZ. But it's scrub wood. Small desert trees. Alligator juniper, shaggy bark cedar, mesquite, ironwood in my area. Most are twisty, desert trees. Not sure any of them would work for a bow. My previous bow was a ERC with a hickory backing. Works real well, but I got it way too light.
In His grip,
Smallpatch

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 07:17:39 pm »
Iron wood makes awesome bows.

I'd say take a walk in one of your local parks and keep and eye out for what grows there.  then when stuff falls over you can get pieces of it. 

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 07:39:57 pm »
I hate the word "ironwood". Absolutely HATE that word! It should be eradicated from all dictionaries as of today. Why? Because I am sure that Pairie Bowyer and Dane Lund are not talking about the same species of wood.

Dane, did you try local tree surgeons and landscaping companies? They probably remove trees every now and then from gardens and public places. There must be useful plant species growing in the populated areas, right?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 07:54:47 pm »
don't hold anything back darksoul :laugh:, your right though lots of species get called ironwood
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DuBois

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 09:41:05 pm »
Check the trading post section here. You may have something laying around that would get you some staves  ;)

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 09:44:23 pm »
The native Americans in your state used mesquite,mountain mulberry,juniper,n cedar(sinewed of course)....the bow woods there,it may not be in as much abundance as my back yard here in pa,but its there...ya just gotta learn how to look...Id rather spend gas money and take an adventure and harvest my own wood,than sit from my computer and click on a "buy now" button... and the bow will have much more meaning to ya in the end as well....I lived in west southwest Colorado for 4 years,and have been to your state....its there man...go take an adventure ;) and also contact tree cutting n landscapers etc in urban areas where "ornamentals" are planted..like black locust,mulberry,maple,elm etc.....yup and the trading post here is good to..I'm sure you have stuff there that folks don't have where they live....

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 10:07:12 pm »
Nice reading this.   I live in AZ as well.  I have made all board bows to date and usually go to "The Wood Workers Source" to get it.

I need to learn more about the native bow woods as well.  I do know if you go a little higher in elevation you will find nice tall juniper trees.  I found some just north of Payson right below the Rim.  Been sitting in my garage for nearly two years.  Wish I had gotten more at the time. There are some trees large enough you could use the branches for bows.   Would love to try mountain mulberry. Guess I need to go figure out how to identify it.     

There is another guy on this site (RabidApache) who lives in AZ.   He was telling me we have all the woods blackhawk mentioned and said we also have Locust and Ash and suggested trying Salt Cedar.   He said it compares to Hickory to some degree.....

I see a lot of Chinese elm in peoples yards.  have one in mine.  I have always wondered if it would be good for bows.....
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 01:27:23 am »
I could get you osage. I guy I know has TONS of it. He got hit by a tornado and lost all his staves 2 years ago and he still had thousands and thousands of quality osage staves. We could work out something. His name is jerry stover. Look him up at the ojam site. We could work out something and I could pick staves according to your wants and you would pay shipping plus stave price. If you planned on buying a bit he is nice and will probably give you a discount.
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline dane lund

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 03:02:37 am »
Thanks so much gang. I guess as a beginner, I'm a little ignorant as to what will work. Maybe there's more here than I know about. I'll keep looking. Please don't stop with the input. I'm very willing to learn!
In His grip,
Smallpatch

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 03:48:13 am »
It can be a lot like huntiing. I enjoy hunting wood just as  much as game. Use tools like google maps to find wooded drainages and such. Always have several places scouted out in area if you have to drive a ways. Alwsys be sware of landownership too or you can get more of an adventure than you asked for.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 04:22:53 am »
Go find your self some juniper,n sinew back it...a sinewed juniper will rival any osage or yew bow ;) I'm always a fan and promoter of using and harvesting the best resources in your locale ...and its free...prob some other species as well planted in urban areas

Spot on.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline unkieford

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 11:28:01 am »
Another AZ desert dweller here... and like Arrowind, I usually search at Woodworkers source. I actually know a guy who is an arborist, and I'm waiting to see what he might find for me. If he pops up with some good stuff, I am more than willing to share.

---Ford---

Offline dane lund

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 11:43:29 am »
OK, I've looked all over this site and can't find the trading post. Am I an idiot? Please don't answer that..... Just point me in the right direction please!
In His grip,
Smallpatch