Author Topic: A little help to help my teacher  (Read 1451 times)

Offline kid bow

A little help to help my teacher
« on: November 16, 2013, 09:28:33 pm »
Ok my teacher is an sat/act teacher. He's a real cool guy and we call him the Ginja because of his red hair. He saw me reading tbb book in class and wanted to know if I could make him a bow.... I told him no but I did tell him if my act score went up I would help him make one. Anyway, I'm painstakingly writing down everything I know from start to finish on how to make a primitive bow might even throw my info on how I make my arrows But I feel my small amount of experience won't be enough so I you guys could reply with some tips for him to make his own bows maybe a couple stories, tips and tricks if he runs into problems, types of woods, what kinds of designs are best. I know this is a lot of information I'm asking from you all but I know you guys have amazing bow making skills so I came to where I might get the best and brightest info. Please help me
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline bushboy

Re: A little help to help my teacher
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 09:33:11 pm »
first off ,.get an elm or osage stave!or hickory ,maple or.or,or.....................
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline kid bow

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 09:36:25 pm »
Hmmmmm interesting lol keep going
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 09:54:33 pm »
Black locust, it's a heck of a learning wood and screaming fast if you get it right  ;)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 10:54:16 pm »
Loan him the book. I'd bet he can read.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 10:59:38 pm »
Or send him a link to this forum...

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 11:54:42 pm »
When my brother wanted some help making a bow I told him to watch Billy Berger's 4 part series on it.  I gave him a hackberry stave and he made a really nice bow.  It was far better than my first several bows.  I just advised him when he ran into certain issues, like how to deal with some natural deflex and where he needed to take off some wood and things like that.  He's much more artistic than me so I think it came easier to him.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!