Author Topic: A backside handle build up  (Read 5601 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
A backside handle build up
« on: November 13, 2013, 12:55:40 pm »
I stole this idea from my very good friend, Paul "NoCal" Robertson. Im not sure just how he does it exactly, but I know what he uses. I never used to build the backside up on my bow grips up. After doing a few this way, Im loving it. I bought a package of 1/4 x 4 x 4 cork squares at Hobby Lobby for les than $5. I lay the cork on my bench, then lay the bow back down on the cork and trace it out. Then I use a sharp edge to cut the shape out, oversized a bit. I use TBIII wood glue to adhere the cork to the back. Once I get the cork sitting pretty I wrap it with an Ace bandage to be sure it conforms to the bow. After a day of drying I use my 4-1 rasp and a sanding block to shape it. The best part for me is the flexibility of the cork. It allows a full grip on working handle bows and that is nice as far as comfort is concerned.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

Re: A backside handle build up
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 01:07:49 pm »
I do similar on wooden "Turk" bows where I fake the reverse riser typical of that style but allow the grip to work slightly to maximise drawlength. I use thick leather soaked in  glue.
 A reverse handle can minimise residual handshock by letting the handle sit more ergonomically in the hand.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 01:10:04 pm »
Nice job on the handle Pearly! Haven't tried the cork yet. Been using some 1/4" veggie tan leather scarps I picked up at our farm supply store for cheap. Glued together/down with contact cement makes quick work of it.........Art

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 01:15:07 pm »
bubby has some good ideas sometimes lol

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 01:31:33 pm »
The cork works down so nicely with a sanding block, I tried leather once and didn't like that aspect of it. But they both seem to work the same.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 01:33:06 pm »
did you soak the cork first?

Stringman

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 01:33:58 pm »
How does it look as a finished part of the bow? That is my only concern with the idea, how to finish it.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 01:35:23 pm »
No I didn't soak the cork Jordo, just glued it down. And don't call me a cork soaker again!

Scott the leather will totally conceal the cork.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 01:35:49 pm »
I do the same with thick veg tanned leather. It really helps a bulbous fit your hand well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 01:39:17 pm »
Saturate the leather with Epoxy or superglue and it will finish like wood.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 01:40:07 pm »
Im sure it does PatM. This cork is just too easy and clean to avoid.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 01:43:59 pm »
i used cork once and it wanted to fall apart really easy just using a razor blade to trim it.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 01:46:15 pm »
And don't call me a cork soaker again!

lmao hahaha good one. im gonna start using that again.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 02:02:41 pm »
PD. I've got an old Keasey yew bow and he used cork wrapped handles on all of his bows that I've seen. It makes a very comfortable grip. He may have used an underlay that looks to me like rawhide before wrapping the cork around the handle.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 02:18:02 pm »
Hey bubby....you suing for plagiarism?  :laugh: