Author Topic: Durable, waterproof sinew backing  (Read 13655 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Durable, waterproof sinew backing
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2013, 04:29:12 pm »
Downpours are usually not the problem, its high humidity that affects our selfbows and sinew backed bows. Some woods are more susceptable than others but sinew and hide glue are very hygroscopic, meaning they take on and release moisture as the huidity changes...even when well sealed.
 I made a copy of Jay Massey's Medicine Bow; sinew backed hickory with a rawhide covering. I sealed this bow with a layer of Massey finish(2ton epoxy thinned with acetone), 5 coats of Tru-Oil and a few sprays of satin poly. That bow can change draw weight by 20#, depending on the humidity.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2013, 06:42:45 pm »
Yep:)
I hunt the coast range of Oregon humidity rarely drops below 70%
My sinew backed yew only various about 2 pounds.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline dxhound

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2013, 06:59:25 pm »
I would expect epoxy glued and coated sinew to be water proof and probably superior to hide glue adhered sinew.  The same for sinew glued with Titebond III and coated with polyurethane.  But, epoxy, Titebond III or Polyurethane are not primitive materials.  They are not illegal, immoral or fatening, so it depends on how primitive you want to be.  You will also get superior performance from fiberglass or a compound bow, so each of us needs to draw our own chosen red lines.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2013, 08:21:01 am »
Those are the rules PA states dxhound.Everyone on here knows that.As far as primitive goes your right each can go as far as they want but leave the working parts that do the work natural.This is not a legality or moral or health food site.To jump from TT3 or epoxy usage to compounds is quite a jump.Most on here don't live a primitive life style either.If they did they would starve.Personally I have running water and do use electricity most times.I heat with wood alone.No back up.How primitive are you?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PatM

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2013, 10:17:44 am »
I don't think anyone expects Epoxy or TB glued sinew to be superior to hide glued. Epoxy won't even work and nobody has ever shown that TB works as well as hide glue.