Author Topic: Longevity of Pacific Yew  (Read 3969 times)

Offline Eric Garza

Longevity of Pacific Yew
« on: November 11, 2013, 09:50:12 am »
So I'm toying with investing in my first Pacific Yew stave. I know Yew is thought highly of as a wood more generally, but I have a few questions for those with more experience with wood.

1. Is the sapwood just as resistant to decay as the heartwood?
2. Can the heartwood make a good bow back?
3. Does Yew bend well with heat?
4. Does Yew benefit from heat treating?

Thanks for your time!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Longevity of Pacific Yew
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 10:32:36 am »
ERic, I only have limited experience with yew but I'll try to abswer your questions the best I can...
Yew sapood is not as rot resistant as the heartwood.
Heartwood can probably make a good bow back but I have heard that most will back it with rawhide for security.
Yew does bend well with heat, just like osage.
I don't know about tempering but yew is very strong in compression so tempering shouldn't be necessary.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 10:59:46 am »
Here's my take...

#1...no its not as decay resistant as the heartwood,but if the woods properly harvested n stored,and then made into a well made bow and taken care of right itll last a long time and outlast you...

#2. I've seen enough examples that yes it can...(although I've never done it)

#3. Yes it does bend well to heat..but not as good as osage IMO...

#4. I've found the low elevation n density yew to benefit from a light tempering...just don't overdo it,and make sure the heat doesn't wrap around n scorch the sapwood as it won't like that at all....

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 11:02:53 am »
the heartwood (i have heard) you need to back it. the sapwood is not as rot resistant as the heart wood. and if the yew is low density, it benefits greatly from tempering. and it does bend good with heat.
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 11:14:40 am »
There was a really nice all heartwood vintage Yew flight bow posted on Paleoplanet a few years back. It was exceptionally clean wood though.
 The old article that started the recent heat treating phenomenon was originally a method for rejuvenating tired yew bows.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 11:50:31 am »
I haven't ran into problems steaming or dry heating yew. As far as decay resistance, I don't know? It doesn't matter to me because I wont live that long! Ive never tempered yew, cant blow smoke about that.

I have a set of very nice (and old) all heartwood yew billets. Blackhawk and I have been "arguing" for 3-4 months about the best route to take in order to make the best bow they can be. We haven't resolved it......yet....I want a self bow because that's who I am, he leans towards sinew backing it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 11:54:54 am »
I think I'd go rawhide or sinew just because!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 11:59:13 am »
Ahhh, your still on a sinew buzz from that stick of dy-no-mite you just finished Pat!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 12:01:15 pm »
Yew will be my next sinewed bow. I might try to match the other one.

Offline Badger

yew
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 12:08:50 pm »
  If I am adding recurves to yew I much prefer steam, dry heat seems fine for reflexing. I don't think I have ever had any kind of bow decay if it was stored in a dry place. The only problem I have had with yew is getting too dry up in Nevada. I have broken several yew bows when they got too dry out in the desert. Yew loves my coastal climate where it stays about 8%.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 01:44:54 pm »
1. If stored properly you can avoid the sapwood fungus.

2.yes. Yew heartwood bows have been made with great success. Some Neolithic bows where all heartwood. So they must have preferred it for some reason.

3. Yes. But steam and boiling works best.

4. You bet! Depending on the natural state of the yew being worked. I always give it I light toasting, sometimes I BURN IT. All depends.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 02:01:22 pm »
No, when left out in the open the sapwood will rot while the heartwood is still sound. But normal seasoning should be fine, just watch out for borers.
Don't know.
Yes.
Yes.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline WillS

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 02:26:00 pm »
There's a nice all-heartwood longbow in TBB1 isn't there?  Comstock?

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 02:53:00 pm »
There's a nice all-heartwood longbow in TBB1 isn't there?  Comstock?

Yes sir
Clatskanie, Oregon

Don Case

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 03:35:23 pm »
I'm just being nosey ;) but why are you concerned about decay resistance? Are you starting with a dead tree? As long as it is kept dry any wood will outlast its human counterpart.
Don