Author Topic: Paralyzed Deer Hunter Chooses to End Life Support  (Read 4327 times)

Offline adb

Re: Paralyzed Deer Hunter Chooses to End Life Support
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 12:44:08 pm »
I dealt with this delicate issue for 20+ years working in ICU. It truly can tear families apart. Guilt is a powerful inhibitor. At least this man was lucid enough to make his own decision and the medical community caring for him had enough courage to allow it to happen. I also applaud his family for having the courage to allow him to die with dignity.

Offline adb

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 01:48:58 pm »
There is only one small nagging question surrounding this issue for me. How did this man survive the initial trauma of falling from his treestand?

If he did have displacement fractures of C3,4,5 with corresponding severing of his spinal cord, how did he not die at the scene? "C3,4,5 keeps a man alive." Vital organ tissue death caused by anoxia (no oxygen) secondary to apnea (no breathing) happens within minutes. How long before he was found? He must have been resuscitated almost immediately at the scene by a highly trained friend, or his spinal cord was not completely interrupted.

Following this type of severe trauma, there is always swelling, which sometimes masks the true state of affairs. Very similar to acute brain injury. The brain will not reveal it's true post trauma abilities until after the inflammation has reduced.

I truly hope his family was given all the information they required. I'm sure that was the case. This is one of the controversial issues surrounding patient driven healthcare. How are families expected to make complex medical decisions without being fully informed or properly educated? If any of you find yourselves or family members in this situation, please do your due diligence. I hope I have not offended anyone. End of life care issues are very delicate. His decision was made, and I agree with what he did. I am a strong advocate of allowing people to die with dignity.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 11:50:02 pm by adb »

Offline bow101

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 07:42:49 pm »
I'm getting old :o, that's why I put a rubber mat in my shower/bath tub. Almost did the same thing.

Very sad story indeed.  I slipped in the tub years back, I was maybe 34.  I cracked a couple ribs, but let me tell you at our age to break a fall is done slowly, our reflexes are not as sharp. :(
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline TRACY

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 08:24:36 pm »
Tough decision and unfortunate accident to this Hoosier. Only 32 and a dad to be :'(

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 08:01:21 am »
Sad sad story,I might of had to give it a few days before I made that one, just to be sure ya know. Then I like to think I would have done the same. Never know till you are put in that situation.
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good