Author Topic: compression juniper  (Read 2492 times)

Offline campx

compression juniper
« on: November 10, 2013, 10:36:11 pm »
Gonna revisit this chunk of wood now that I have more than  one bow under my belt.  Its been curing for almost a year now, no checking or warpage, so bandsawing it in half was the right thing to do.
I'm seriously thinking a Sami/Lap style bow, 72" or longer, elm or maple backed, siyahs........ should be interesting.

juniper 001 by CampX, on Flickr

juniper 006 by CampX, on Flickr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: compression juniper
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 11:51:49 pm »
It will probably move once you cut it in half so beware. I've not worked with juniper but I think it is easily manipulated with heat.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 11:44:36 am by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 01:00:46 am »
I've worked quite a bit with juniper but never made a "two wood" bow like the Sami used.

As far as compression goes, juniper is excellent.  One thing to watch for:  If you bandsaw it in half, the heartwood may check badly unless you seal it or back it with a backing strip right away.  I've had several pieces check so badly after only a day or two that I couldn't used them.

I would use the lightest wood you can to back the bow.  I think Maple is lighter than Elm?  Anyway, a very heavy (dense) wood may overpower the belly and cause it to explode.  Juniper gives very little warning, if any, before it breaks.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline campx

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 01:49:55 am »
I already sawed in half, last year.....and it stayed perfect.  I put slats between the two halves, taped it all together with hockey tape, and put it up in the floor joists in my basement.  No cracks, warps or twists.

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 10:31:34 am »
this should be interesting.. keep us posted with pics of your progress.

Offline campx

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 12:01:34 pm »
Haha, ya , I'll keep yall posted on any future developments.  With a name like Juniper Junkie, I am WIDE OPEN to any hints or criticism you can throw my way!  Never done any laminating or backing, so its all new to me....

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 12:12:38 pm »
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/29305/NorthEurasian-laminated-bow?page=1
excellent info here. just skip the bickering about poundage...blah,blah,blah..
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline campx

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 02:18:09 pm »
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/29305/NorthEurasian-laminated-bow?page=1
excellent info here. just skip the bickerbying about poundage...blah,blah,blah..
You betcha, I've read that post in its entirety.  I find the historical photos most interesting;  some of those bows TOWER over the heads of those guys.
I've got some compression jackpine in my shed right now also, just bandsawed it out and managed to jam it through my thickness planer.  I'm gonna try that out also.  I know where some leaning elms are growing, in a slow earthflow area, which should yield some tension wood......