Author Topic: Hackberry flatbow, mended and finished  (Read 2344 times)

Offline Hrothgar

Hackberry flatbow, mended and finished
« on: November 09, 2013, 09:09:32 pm »
A month or two back I posted some pics of this bow. After several dozen arrows it started to lift a splinter on the belly. So after sanding, superglue and art. sinew I'm calling it done. The tiller isn't perfect.

The back was decrowned, the tips slightly, unevenly, recurved, and the belly toasted. Its a smooth shooter but a bit light. #40 @ 25", 2 1/4" at the fades, 65" long.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline adb

Re: Hackberry flatbow, mended and finished
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 09:14:01 pm »
It lifted a splinter on the belly?

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 10:47:01 pm »
At what part of the limb did the belly splinter lift? Near the handle, towards the tips?

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 10:59:03 pm »
adb, yep, the belly. I was heating the tips and trying to bend the last 6 inches. About half way through the process the glue on my form got so hot that it started to pull apart, so I had to quickly drive a couple nails into it. The limb cooled off some during this time and when I resumed the heating and bending there came that dreadful 'cracking' sound. The crack wasn't deep and the limb was still thick so after more sanding and scaping I thought I had gotten down into good wood. After much tillering and repeatedly pulling the long string to 24" with no problems, I braced it and shot a couple dozen arrows then noticed the slightest lifting of a splinter at the same location. After asking for some P.A. advice hopefully its fixed for good. Sorry about the long answer.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 11:17:53 pm »
Wouldve been much better off steaming it being hackberry it bends like ,no exaggeration, rubber when steamed. Either way it turned out awesome !
I like osage

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 09:06:06 am »
Ive done that before myself, with other woods. I always keep at least 3/16" cushion on my thickness if I can. I expect it to tear out, if it doesnt? A little extra rasping is fine by me. Sounds to me like you got her too hot and it tore the wood. Oh well, its fine now an d you will never hear from it again. Nice bow!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 12:52:04 pm »
OK... I misunderstood... I tough you said it lifted a splinter while you were shooting it. I didn't realise you did that while recurving the tips. Yes... that happens, and it has happened to me more than once.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 03:12:37 pm »
Nice work with that hackberry, looks like a good bow.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 08:47:27 pm »
Good fix man.You got a bow.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed