Author Topic: rawhide backing question  (Read 1516 times)

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
rawhide backing question
« on: November 10, 2013, 10:26:36 am »
I just put a rawhide backing on a bow and its all cured now. I found that if i scratch my finger nails up and down the backing it all feels and sounds solid accept for one little spot about the size of a dime, when i scratch that spot the sound changes. I'm sure this means there is a void there. The edges look well adhered so the void is in the center. Should i cut a slit in the rawhide and try to get some glue in there?
45# at 27"

Offline adb

Re: rawhide backing question
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 10:41:34 am »
Poke it with a small needle. If you have access to a small diabetic type hypo syringe, you can inject some glue into the void if you want. To avoid this problem, I glue down my rawhide by clamping it under a pressure board, or wrapping it with inner tubes over a strip of leather.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 12:50:30 pm »
Try rehydrating the rawhide at the spot, cut a small slit lengthwise and put some glue in under the rawhide then bind it with strips of cloth. I use strips of old bed sheets.
 When I add a rawhide or snake skin backing with TBIII glue I will wrap it with cloh strips for about an hour, remove the cloth strips and check for voids and excess glue pockets. A small slit at each and a little hand/finger pressure will work out the air or excess glue and push the rawhide or skin back down on the limb surface.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 05:35:47 pm »
What glue did you use?  One of the advantages to using hide glue for rawhide backing is that it can be rehydrated and bubbles can be removed with a needle and reapplying pressure. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 08:29:28 pm »
I used titebond 2. Thanks for the tips guys, I'll let you know how it goes.
45# at 27"