Author Topic: Osage rings??  (Read 10237 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: Osage rings??
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2013, 11:28:18 am »
I can't imagine it being a very big difference.  Design and tiller would absolutely be more important .  I've made bows of about every possible ring structure Osage has to offer and really can't say thin ring is snappier than thick or vice versa.  I have noticed that too much early wood in the belly is problematic at times.  That's why I look for good ratio above all else.  There is a lot of food for thought here though.  Josh

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2013, 01:04:38 pm »
as no real science and very little advanced thought happen when I'm making a bow. :-[
Fun ain't it !!!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2013, 01:42:10 pm »
If anyone has any thick ringed Osage they don't want any more, I'll take it >:D
I like osage

Offline Badger

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2013, 01:42:35 pm »
  The only difference I can say I notice is that they seem to hold reflex better after heat treating with the tinnner rings. They also might be a tad more elastic as the limb thickness looks to be just tad thicker than the thick ringed stuff, I didn't measure just going by eye.

Offline Badger

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2013, 01:44:10 pm »
    All that being said osage is good wood any kind of growth rings as long as the ratio is decent.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2013, 01:50:27 pm »
as no real science and very little advanced thought happen when I'm making a bow. :-[
Fun ain't it !!!
Ha!! ;)
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2013, 10:43:21 pm »
With all this talk about thin rings I'm going to start looking at some different trees to cut next year.  I usually try to go after the ones I think will have thicker rings.  I wouldn't mind making a few bows with yewish rings and see how they perform.

Yewish bows?  How do you do that?  I suppose you just take the tips off?

I prefer thicker onion rings and thinner osage rings.  When I first started making bows, my mentor chanted over and over how much tight ringed wood was for making bows.  Then a while back, folks started talking about thicker rings being so much easier to work with as long as you had great early wood to late wood ratios. 

I fall into the camp with my opinion that thicker rings are necessarily less dense rings.  I am getting good enough at chasing rings after 12 years that I don't worry about chasing down to a thick ring for safety. 

Someone mentioned that they don't get all worked up over what the rings might or might not be, they just make a bow.  That's a good attitude, work with the wood you got, with what tools you have, and the brains the good Lord gave you.  And for future bows, when I have thicker rings, I will make the bow a tad wider and if they are stacked in there like leaves of rolling paper I will make a skinnier bow!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2013, 07:43:50 am »
Yes JW...When I started making bows I was told a 7 to 10 ring per inch stave was a good standard.I think it still is.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2013, 09:09:43 am »
With all this talk about thin rings I'm going to start looking at some different trees to cut next year.  I usually try to go after the ones I think will have thicker rings.  I wouldn't mind making a few bows with yewish rings and see how they perform.

Yewish bows?  How do you do that?  I suppose you just take the tips off?

I prefer thicker onion rings and thinner osage rings.  When I first started making bows, my mentor chanted over and over how much tight ringed wood was for making bows.  Then a while back, folks started talking about thicker rings being so much easier to work with as long as you had great early wood to late wood ratios. 

I fall into the camp with my opinion that thicker rings are necessarily less dense rings.  I am getting good enough at chasing rings after 12 years that I don't worry about chasing down to a thick ring for safety. 

Someone mentioned that they don't get all worked up over what the rings might or might not be, they just make a bow.  That's a good attitude, work with the wood you got, with what tools you have, and the brains the good Lord gave you.  And for future bows, when I have thicker rings, I will make the bow a tad wider and if they are stacked in there like leaves of rolling paper I will make a skinnier bow!
JW.... you can make a yewish bow....but you haveto have a Moyle present, lol... You aint right  ;D
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2013, 05:43:23 pm »
I have a 5 gpi and a 15 gpi osage staves. I will do a side by sidè comparison and chrono it and stuff. Should be done by February or so.
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!