Author Topic: Whitewood bow finishes  (Read 6308 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Whitewood bow finishes
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 04:53:55 pm »
Here is a vine maple bow I finished off with some golden oak (lightly rubbed) then 4 coats of spray on spar varnish. I use Tru oil exclusively now and would do the stain again. It sure made it pretty. And as you know, vine maple is as white as snow.
Patrick

Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 05:16:11 pm »
bubby! that is a nice bow.  love the fades.
Slowly, i stalked her. Watching her every move. Silently moving in for the kill, only to find she was so perfectly tuned to nature i couldn't take the shot. My stomach was growling, yet i couldn't take the shot. My desire to see beauty overpowered my desire to eat.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 09:48:24 pm »
For long term use im not sure how well it lasts but, you can always rub more in as you see the need. When I first tried it I put the bow under the sink to see how the water beads off and it does very well, especially if you burnish the wood after waxing it.

Kyle

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2015, 11:59:20 am »
  I like the dyes best.  Stains work fine, but it seem really hard to build depth of color with.  On a harder wood you get what you get on your first pass.

On a wood that has very little grain, If I'm trying to make it as figured as possible, I take an oil, acetone, or alcohol based dye and wipe over the whole thing with a medium color, like walnut.  I let it sit, then actually wipe it off with a rag just damp with solvent, or a less volatile solvent.  Then, I let it dry well, and wipe it with a rag wet with water, which raises the grain.  THEN I rub that all down with fine or medium-fine steel wool.  This takes off a lot of the base color, and leaves a bit in the grooves, winter rings, nooks, and crannies.   Then go over it again with the same stuff, or a lighter color.  It just gives depth and variance to the shades.

This works with stains, but not as well as dyes.

I also flame bellies to bring out grain, and things like damp coffee grounds can put some color in.

Offline OTDEAN

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2015, 02:14:30 pm »
Just use lard/pig grease and rub it into your bow and burnish the back with a glass bottle.  Use charcoal powder or a natural earth pigment with the lard/pig grease and it will show the grain. A very nice and simple primitive finish that is very effective.  Just rub lard into your bow say an hour before you take it outside every time.  Best thing I have ever used as a finish and cheap.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2015, 11:46:03 pm »
The thing I like about whitewoods like vine maple is that they make a great blank canvas for your creativity. I never want to mar the beautiful wood on a yew bow and so I always leave them plain. But when I make a vine maple bow I go to town on the paints and stains because I have nothing to lose. Here are a few examples of my vine maple finishes. I like the fiebing's leather dyes the best.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2015, 08:24:30 am »
Been on a green rit dye diluted with alchol kick,kinda looks like frog skin.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2015, 08:32:36 am »
Forgot to add first I put on black let dry,then wipe down with a damp rag, then add green let dry and a light wipe down with a not so damp rag.the black highlights the grain.here's a red one,both elm.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2015, 11:17:23 am »
Sometimes whitewoods look best plain when you get a deep finish on them. This was 6 or 7 thin coats of teak oil varnish on hackberry. Maple is a bit more plain though...

Springfield, MO

Offline GB

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2015, 01:28:11 pm »
I always like seeing the different finishes shown.  Gives me ideas for my next bow.  This one is hickory with Golden Brown and Honey Amber aniline dyes.

Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline snowplow

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2015, 07:18:37 pm »
Wow thank you so much for the ideas guys. Beautiful bows! You have my wheels turning!..

Offline snowplow

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2015, 07:19:42 pm »
PS is there anymore pics of the green rit? I think that sounds pretty cool.