Author Topic: Anybody save thier osage shavings for making stain?  (Read 2065 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Anybody save thier osage shavings for making stain?
« on: November 08, 2013, 06:22:45 pm »
I've made some before, a while ago (years). I didn't cut it with anything then, just boiled it down to sticky goop and rubbed it on a 78" red oak pyramid bow (no idea why the bow was that long, haha  ;D). I decided to make some more, and maybe this time cut it with turpentine. It turns out pretty nice looking in the end, kinda like dark red-ish, kinda mohagany. Here is some pictures, this is my third time extracting the osage, (because now I know multiple small extractions are better than one big extraction, thank you breaking bad, lol) I guess their called tannins?

This is what I have so far, I'm gonna boil this all down after my third extraction:

I was thinking I might try it on leather.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Anybody save thier osage shavings for making stain?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 06:36:35 pm »
What about using sawdust?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 07:01:02 pm »
What about using sawdust?

Just the dust from sanding Osage stains my pants yellow I have pants with yellow spots on them lol
I like osage

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 07:46:33 pm »
I had an idea of collecting dust/shavings and chips, to sell to peple who like to dye their own wool/textiles. I still have some bags of it but just haven't got around to trying it. I think its more trouble than its worth in terms of time though.

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 08:14:13 pm »
You know your a bowaholic when.......  :laugh:  :laugh: ...my wife would shoot me on the spot if she saw me boiling osage chips with her pots on her range...n if she didn't shoot me she'd send me to a mental institution  :laugh: .... never tried it n don't need to cus most my bows are already yellow orange,n will turn dark naturally ;)  :D

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 08:36:37 pm »
How do you make it? I make enough bows I might as well get some free stain for my white bows!  :laugh:
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline RyanR

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 08:58:54 pm »
You know your a bowaholic when.......  :laugh:  :laugh: ...my wife would shoot me on the spot if she saw me boiling osage chips with her pots on her range...n if she didn't shoot me she'd send me to a mental institution  :laugh: .... never tried it n don't need to cus most my bows are already yellow orange,n will turn dark naturally ;)  :D
Blackhawk your wife needs to be more understanding. LOL  One time I boiled a deer skull in the kitchen in one of my wifes pans. She never said anything but looking back  I am sure she was not impressed but it just adds to the list of dumb things I have done.  It stunk pretty bad.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 09:07:15 pm »
Ive noticed the water changes color when steaming a rough rasped piece of osage. wondered if it was of any use, now I know thanks toomanyknots
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 09:08:28 pm »
I did a little tutorial on the PA Facebook page about using a coffee maker to extract the dye from osage sawdust:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151297468646476.474608.125816541475&type=3

Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 09:11:02 pm »
The only problem with the dye, like other natural dyes, is that the color fades when exposed to sunlight.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 09:48:08 pm »
The only problem with the dye, like other natural dyes, is that the color fades when exposed to sunlight.

I didn't know that. Pretty cool tutorial! I might try that! I make the stuff a lot more concentrated though. Or at least last time I did. I make it to where it is kinda thick and sticky, and it is very dark when I am done boiling it down. I rubbed it in kinda like you rub oil in a bow, and the results where a darker red kinda stain. I make walnut hull stain the same way. Here it is finally boiling down, this pan was full to the top and then some as I extracted too much to fit in the pan, so I boiled the first bit down and added the rest:

"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 10:04:30 pm »
I'm too impatient to boil it down.  I should try that, though.  I wonder if it's sticky enough to make glue...

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas