Author Topic: Holly leaved cherry bow wood, seeking advice and recommendations  (Read 1304 times)

Offline SixRabbit

Holly leaved cherry bow wood, seeking advice and recommendations
« on: November 08, 2013, 02:20:02 am »
Hi guys. Lots of great people here and skilled bowyers at that. I think this is where I will seek advice for making a bow. I'd like to use the California holly leaves cherry to make a bow. It was reportedly used by the Indians on the central coast in California. I've made a small bow out of it, it seems like great wood to use. It is very dense, .96 specific gravity in the Bowyers Bible. My question is, How should I make a bow out of it? Self bow or sinew backed? California wide limbed, or more like a miwok bow, or what shape would you use? Should I use only heartwood or keep the inner bark layer for the back? And if you've worked with other types of cherry wood how did it work for you? Thanks!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Holly leaved cherry bow wood, seeking advice and recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 06:38:24 am »
I've personally never tried that wood but have had success with black cherry sinew backed.Not near as dense as the wood you've got there.Interesting.It says it's a shrub.Does it have a high crown?How long of a piece are you working with?That'll make a difference on how wide you can make it.I'd pay attention to what designs are made out of wood as dense as your wood there.Since you've made a small bow out of it before you've got an idea of it's elastic qualities.As far as leaving the sapwood on or not if it is'nt too thick I'd leave it on.Sounds to me like it should be a longer narrower type bow.A D sectioned type bow elliptically tillered possibly.Maybe a D sectioned type D bow too.With that dense of wood your outer limb tips should be as narrow as possible to avoid hand shock.If it does'nt seem elastic enough to handle the higher poundage I'd put a little sinew or maybe rawhide on the back.I've never seen a finished bow on this site out of that kind of wood before nor have I searched for it either.It would be nice to see one finished on here.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed